Monday 3 October 2011

HIP HOP CLASSICS - Public Enemy - 'Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos'

Hip Hop Classics

When 'It Takes a Nation of Millions' announced it's arrival with it's unforgettable air raid siren intro in 1988, it transformed Rap's landscape forever. Apart from making the bus ride to school tolerable, if somewhat more rebellious, it cemented the credibility of Rap from a passing fad to having a serious voice with a serious political message. The message of the ghetto transmitted into the safety of my plush, all mod cons, expatriate home in Saudi Arabia. I was determined to correct the wrongs and start a revolution (still not televised) from the side of my pool-side bed. Unsurprisingly, my Black Panther movement failed to materialise but it certainly made me aware of the indignity and racism still being suffered in 'Black America'.

Public Enemy....time keeping not an issue!
It's hard to choose my favourite PE track but this certainly comes close. It is essentially an anti-war song which culminates into a prison break. Memorable lyrics, slick interplay with Flav, tight claustrophobic beats and a killer Isaac Hayes piano loop make this a definite Hip Hop Classic!

They were often referred to as the Clash of Rap for their millitant style, accolade indeed. Chuck D called PE 'The Black CNN' and when you heard Chuck's booming baritone, you couldn't help but listen. Fierce!

Public Enemy - 'Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos'


More Classics? Click here Boyeeeee!

Related Posts

HIP HOP CLASSICS - Public Enemy - 'Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos'
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
3 October 2011 at 13:41

Inovators,,,their music always had that tension, that edge...but alas the edge has blunted...there is nothing quite like them today..thank God we have still got Dylan

Reply
avatar
3 October 2011 at 15:01

A timeless classic from PE. I love the way they sound like they mean business. They got it so right. It was great seeing them in Brixton too. Not bad even 20 years on!

Reply
avatar
3 October 2011 at 15:11

I like that, 'like they mean business'! Yeah was a real treat to see them do that album.

Reply
avatar
4 October 2011 at 18:01

Maybe this is a bit controversial but I remember hearing this song by Tricky (sung by Martina Topley-Bird) years before I even knew it was a Public Enemy song. I loved that version and as with most disCOVERies that I hear before the original I prefer it. That's not to say I don't like the PE version however. I guess I got used to it in the style I first heard.

Reply
avatar
4 October 2011 at 18:59

LS, I love Tricky and I love the Maxinquaye album but I never liked the version. I felt it lacked the weight of the original.

Reply