Thursday 3 October 2013

Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats - 'Poison Apple' / 'Mind Crawler'

GIVE ME A GUITAR!!!

...Have the urge to don a balaclava and kick over your neighbours bin? Save all the embarrassing explanations by listening to Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats.




With much fanfare that normally accompanies such a milestone, my four and half year old son recently started school. The days at nursery where he ruled the roost with the rest of the kids his age came to an emotional end and despite being eager and ready for 'big school', my wife and I were beside ourselves with nerves waiting to see how he would get on. I suppose we'll have to get used to the sketchy reports from the frontline throughout his school career but "Awesome" was his one word answer when prompted on how it went, we'll take that (you wait until you experience double math on a Friday afternoon son).

Funny too, as a parent getting used this new chapter, how easily it is to feel intimidated by the teachers and it felt like I had regressed to my school days some 20 years ago. My son's headmistress is somebody you definitely wouldn't want to f@#k with and as I'm trying to get to grips with the new routine, I found myself grovelling to Mrs H more times than is healthy for a grown man, for forgetting to label his clothes, lunch money etc. I fully expected to be given a third and final warning and be invited to detention if it happened again.




Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - 'Poison Apple' (2013)

Anyway all this good feeling was somewhat derailed this week when one morning my son was reluctant to go to school because a boy had pushed and punched him the previous day. Confronted with this unprecedented turn of events, I knew that the next words out of my mouth would probably be of Cuban Missile diffusing importance to a little boy faced with his first test of the big bad world. The days of fluffy bunnies and vegetarian T-Rexs well and truly over. My instinct, as I tried to quell my rising anger, was to tell him to push the little son of a bitch over and harder, that way he'll think twice about doing it again but that's the dark side. I thought maybe he should just go and hug him instead and really freak him out, that way he'll never do it again.

It was really upsetting as there isn't a bad bone in his body (gets it from me). So I just told him some people are silly but try not to cry as that's what they want, make a 'cross' face and tell him, "stop it, that's enough". To which he replied, "I don't know how to make a 'cross' face". Nothing a few sessions of rugby, Jeet Kune Do or even listening to Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats won't sort out.






Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - 'Mind Crawler' (2013)

Luckily my son likes his rock music and for the short journey to school we've been enjoying these two rawk grenades to help practise his 'war face'. So by the time he arrives, he's pumped for the day ahead.


Sensing my son's unease in class, the teacher held a peace summit and it turns out it was all just a misunderstanding, two four year olds jostling for a power sharing deal over Lego. And toward the end of the week they were friends. It's just as well I didn't go with my testosterone packed war mongering instincts after all.


I believe he has his Uncle Acid to thank for helping influence this negotiated peace deal. A no nonsense, 70's Prog Rock/Metal influenced band from Cambridge who released their third album, Mind Control from which 'Poison Apple' and 'Mind Crawler' come from.

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats....settling playground disputes the world over.

Check out their website here....


Check out our other Give me a Guitar Posts? (click here)





Related Posts

Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats - 'Poison Apple' / 'Mind Crawler'
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
4 October 2013 at 16:27

Good post! Poor little brighter, you can only protect them in the nest for so long.
I like the 2 songs, but mind crawler a bit more. Reminds me a little of QOTSA and Black Sabbath, a good mix! The video has some good typical rawk images too.

Reply
avatar
7 October 2013 at 09:35

Brilliant funny post...glad it all worked out before the Yanks sent in tactical nukes...get ready for cyber bullying

Reply
avatar
10 October 2013 at 07:57

Lovely stuff. It's got me thinking back to my own earliest school days. I feel a post coming on.

Reply