Saturday 28 April 2012

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - The Ones - 'Flawless'



The Ones - 'Flawless' (2001)

Its funny how a song can remind you not just of a moment but a whole evening. This is a brilliant track which makes me feel like dancing. I even like the version George Michael released "Flawless (Go To The City)" which was on a compilation made for the very trip this reminds me of.

I'm not going to the bloody Funky Buddha!

I invited two of my closest friends to visit my mum in Spain with me a few years ago. One evening after having had a few drinks and pizza, we were on our way back to the car park to go home. We heard some loud dance music which made us stop and saw it was coming from a club called the Funky Buddha (no where near as hip as that joint in Mayfair). As it wasn't really my scene and with my mum (the designated driver) already a bit tipsy, I tried to protest, shouting "I'm not going to the bloody Funky Buddha!"  This was only met with laughs so my mum dragged us in. It was dark and almost deserted but the music wasn't too bad. It was also excellent for chav watching. We requested numerous songs from the DJ, this being one of them. It was great hearing it so loud, I lost myself in the bass. After a drink was in my hand, I started to relax and forgot all about leaving!

We left after having a good laugh but once back at the house, my friends were in an almighty panic! "We lost our bag! And that had all my cards and money in!" Oh god, what a nightmare! My friends were already resigned to the fact it was gone forever but my mum being the way she is, insisted on driving me back there to have a look. On the way, we were in good spirits (probably the effect of 15 glasses of wine each) but all of a sudden I could see the Guardia Civil (the Spanish coppers) up ahead. I told my mum to "drive casual" but it must have put her off because she wasn't sure whether we were at the right roundabout to turn off for the club. Already going around it, it was a case of: "is it the right one? no we've passed it, actually it is the right one, shit we've missed the turning!" So we went around the roundabout a second time, bearing in mind, there were few cars on the road at 2 am, my mum drives a convertible mini and the police were parked at the roundabout! Talk about attention seeking! Luckily they must have been having a churros break because they never moved! We were in stitches laughing about it on the way home having had no success with the bag.

The next day after all the cards were cancelled, we went out for a drive. My friends sat in the back of the car and shrieked, "Hey! Here's my bag! It fell down the side of the seat!"

More flawless tunes from Saturday Night Jukebox here!

Related Posts

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - The Ones - 'Flawless'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
30 April 2012 at 14:27

I remember this story Oh so well! 8 vodkas, going round the round about, Police about, scary time (but i don't drink)great memory and good track. Remember being there for their last night and singing Like a Rolling Stone at a Karyoke(I can't spell) now that IS scary.

Reply
avatar
5 May 2012 at 08:40

I love this song, it's silly but I love it. You guys man, seriously you make my eyes water.

Reply