Sunday 13 May 2012

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 13/05/12 - The Pond, Now Now, The Cribs, WalterTrout


FOUR TRACKS THAT PUT FIRE IN OUR PANTS THIS WEEK!


Flycasual:-
The Pond - Circle Round a Tree (2012)


This is just a fabulous track. I first heard this about a couple of weeks ago and was instantly captivated by it and needed to hear more. It reminds me of those old 'Trip-Hop' groups in the 90's like Morcheeba, Hoover or Lemon Jelly with it's atmospheric lo fi vibe, perfect for lazing around on a hot sunny day......so sunshine hit me damn it, it's May! It's actually the first single from The Pond's debut album, of the same name, released on May 28th, a side project from British folk singer songwriter, Kathryn Williams. Want to know more? Go over to Kathryn William's site here or skim to The Ponds site where you can also download another of their tracks, 'Bepop' for free. Much better than playing with frog spawn. Word!

Shell Hunter:-
The Cribs - 'Come On, Be A No One'


The Cribs have been around since 2004 but I only got into them after 'Men's Needs' in 2007. I liked there modern punk sound which all their singles hooked me with, but my favourite was 'They Share The Same Skies' which I totally forgot about until I heard it in a shoe shop in Las Vegas last week. I'd forgotten how good they were! It's given me the healthy push I needed to check out their new stuff. This song is the second song from their new album called In The Belly Of The Brazen Bull which was release on May 7th. The Yorkshire lads have been commended by many even Zane Lowe(who is often first to reveal their new singles) and any friend of Zane's is a friend of ours! So cool to know Johnny Marr was even their guitarist from 2008 until last year! I missed seeing them earlier this year, but will be keeping abreast of their tour dates as can you on http://www.thecribs.com/!


Sfw:-
Now Now "Threads"
  

"Perfect indie pop" comes to mind when I first heard this track by this Minneapolis-based trio and would be a band I would've probably heard of earlier if I was a reader of NME.  Their debut album has gained critical acclaim and they were named a "band to watch" at the SXSW musical festival.  I like!

Old Pa's Corner:-
Walter Trout - Lonely (2012)


The kids are screaming, the wife is screaming at you, the dog is barking, what you need is a nice bit of Blues to settle things down this Sunday morning. And this track from Walter Trout's new album 'Mondern Daze' fits the bill nicely thank you. It is classic Blues, all about despair and as the title suggests, being very very lonely. (Not much chance with all that noise around). But if you are still lonely with all that domestic mayhem, then we have a real problem on our hands. Maybe it is time to re-evaluate your life.

'Shut up Old Pa! you are talking bollocks!'. So just sit back and enjoy this excellent bluesy track, an ode to all this modern technology and media overload. Although I like this track I feel if the pace was slowed down a little it could be even better. A real slow burner.



Check out our Spotify Playlist or more Tracks of the Week here!


Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 13/05/12 - The Pond, Now Now, The Cribs, WalterTrout
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
13 May 2012 at 10:43

FC very very nice track, a definate grower...love that almost fuzzy guitar that slips in. I'm off to look for a tree.
SH I love this, superb, the Cribs are back, must check out the album
SFW thats 3 out of 3. I like this too. Good classic indie pop.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
14 May 2012 at 07:39

Nice choices. I particularly like The Pond and would welcome more of their tunes on the ether-waves.

Reply
avatar
26 May 2012 at 12:09

Hmm, not sure about Now, Now, not really anything different going on there but what do I know if they are a band to watch?! A couple of listens and I really like the Cribs tracks, great slacker chorus! Ain't nothing fishy about Walter Trout (I bet he's never heard that before), fabulous guitar work. Love the Blues.

Reply
avatar
4 June 2012 at 11:51

Fly - I get the Lemon Jelly sound from them and definitely like this, will have to hear more
Sfw - I agree with Flycasual on this one but at the same time, so many songs have hit me on the third or fourth listen, even bands that I already love so there's still hope!
Pa - top track, love it! It's Robert Cray and Chris Rea rolled into one!

Reply