Wednesday 23 May 2012

WEDNESDAY CLUB - The Bee Gees - To Love Somebody

Its MIDWEEK, we have had a Tragedy, come to WEDNESDAY CLUB and rejoice in a fabulous track by the brilliant Bee Gees.
Theres a Light

THE BEE GEES - To Love Somebody(1967)

If you are a child of the sixties then the Bee Gees will be part of at least 40 years of your life. I first heard 'New York Mining Disaster' and I was hooked. Within the next few years they had knocked out many other memorable songs, 'Massachusetts' is one of many classics. They were always there.

Then the seventie's, I was abroad somewhere and all I heard was 'Jive Talking' it was fabulous, the birth of Disco as we know it. If you were around at the time, 'Saturday night Fever' was a film you had to see and the Sound track is of course essential, everyboy has it. I got a copy from a guy at work for a quid. But it is worth a lot more than that, it is a soundtrack of a time an era. (but we also  loved the sub culture).

I bought 'How Deep is Your Love' for my Wife as a little pressie.

The track I selected 'To Love Sombody'is one of my favourite tracks of all time. It was 'a first love' the sixties, we did not know any better in theses days.

It has been covered brilliantly by Nina Simone and also by James Carr, fabulous stuff'.

In the eighties they gave us 'You Win Again' another great tune.

I remember coming back from living in Saudi Arabia in the early nineties, all I heard in the radio was 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' it sticks vividly in the memory. To me another great song.

Four decades and they were still knocking them out.

They were a sountrack to anybodies life. They certainly were for mine.

To me the Beauty of the Bee Gees is, that I liked them, everybody else liked them, my dead granny liked them and so did Jacko my Parrot. Not many artist or groups had that universal appeal. Maybe the Beatles thats all.

Robin Gibb, R.I.P. One of the true greats, And from what you read, a down to earth good guy.

'Theres a light
a certain kind of light
That never shone on me'

You don't know what it's like?

For more Wednesday Club

Related Posts

WEDNESDAY CLUB - The Bee Gees - To Love Somebody
4/ 5
Oleh

6 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
22 May 2012 at 21:10

Excellent tribute, sir. A true great, indeed. I love the Flying Burrito Brothers version of 'To Love Somebody', too.

Reply
avatar
23 May 2012 at 09:48

So many fine versions of this great great song around - even Leonard Cohen had a good pop at it. My favourite? Check out Gallon Drunk's intense reading, which helped me through a few tough nights a few years ago.

Reply
avatar
23 May 2012 at 12:18

SB - yes great version by FBB.
The Swede - Never heard that version by GD will seek it out immediately. Will also seek out the LC version that sounds interesting....it is such a great song!

Reply
avatar
23 May 2012 at 21:51

simply wonderful, a great testament...even Jacko the parrot indeed!

Reply
avatar
24 May 2012 at 09:36

Brilliantly said. I remember From Whom The Bell Tolls too, it was one of our faves coming back. As you said, I've always liked the Bee Gees, how can you not? Great song choice. RIP Robin.

Reply
avatar
sfw
24 May 2012 at 10:13

I was never really a fan, but listening "to love somebody" and reading the tributes has made me think I have probably been wrong. Sadly, you don't appreciate things until they are gone.

Reply