Saturday 2 June 2012

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - Goldie Lookin Chain - 'Roller Disco'




Goldie Lookin Chain - 'Roller Disco' (2004)

I'm pretty excited to announce I will be reliving my youth next Friday at a Roller Disco party! I don't think I've been on skates for about 18 years but back then the Roller Disco was really the place to be as Welsh comedy hip hoppers GLC so eloquently put it, in this brilliant track. It's like a check list of everything cool from the 80's...chopper bicycles, Panini stickers, sticking tattoos to your face and of course roller disco! If you like the clever quips in this track, check out their Greatest Hits, a lot of funny moments!

GLC...safe as f**k!

I may not have frequented Maskell's in Wales as they did but growing up in Saudi Arabia we still had Roller disco every week. There was the actual roller skating "rink", a massive outdoor open air pitch, the snow cone stand (an absolute must especially the raspberry and blueberry mix) and the area next to the huge speakers which was adopted by the local arab youths as the breakdance and running man arena (fat Albert and Co, where are you now?). I have fantastic memories of roller disco, I learned to skate there with the yellow plastic roller skates that attached to the bottom of your shoes. The wheels didn't even bloody turn! Some weeks you could volunteer to help out either at the pay table or with the games, putting out cones or holding the limbo pole. I remember winning at limbo once too, I got the coolest prize...bright red fold up sunglasses!

Sadly there is no video to the song, but it really is worth a listen to the lyrics, it'll bring you back to the best days growing up in the 80's. I can't wait to see how crap I am on skates after all these years!

Wednesday Night NC6 was the place to be!


More Saturday Night Jukebox here?....You knows it!


Related Posts

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - Goldie Lookin Chain - 'Roller Disco'
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
3 June 2012 at 09:21

Great post...I used to play Tennis every Wednesday Night next to the roller Disco.....beers cooing in the fridge...wish i mwas there now! Tidy!

Reply
avatar
9 June 2012 at 09:15

God memories of the actual roller disco, 2hrs of sno cone, Filipino dance compilation and boy meets girl mayhem!! As for the track, well pretty good for the nostalgic value with some memorable lines but definitely a novelty act. Guns don't kill, was pretty good though.

Reply
avatar
9 June 2012 at 09:20

Also Sfw and I used to attend the roller disco in fancy dress, punks, girls we used to go the whole hog, really look the part. A right of passage.

Reply
avatar
9 June 2012 at 10:29

A loaded gun won't set you free! JD

Reply