Thursday 21 June 2012

THURSDAY I'M IN LOVE - Air - 'Playground Love'


THURSDAY I'M IN LOVE....A CHANCE FOR ME TO SHARE SOME GOLD THAT FLASHES ON MY SOUL!!



Air - Playground Love (1999)

If you have ever wondered what it would be like to be cuddled by a Wookie, then I think 'Playground Love' would be the closest thing to it. Although I really like Air, I always thought they were a bit hit and miss, I loved their first album Moon Safari and the odd single here and there but that's about it. I remember first hearing this song when visiting a mutual friend with Sfw, in the glamorous environs of Derby. After a rowdy night out, we returned to our pal's house for a final nightcap, the video came on MTV and we all sat in silence transfixed at the beautiful melodic song emanating from the telly, melting into our disgusting cordial cocktails when the Sax came in. It's sweeping strings and hushed vocals create a real melancholic atmosphere of what I interpret to be about yearning after a high school crush, the pain of wanting to be noticed...hmmm, probably not, what do I know, my record was wholly unspectacular anyway.








'Playground Love' is taken from Air's second album and soundtrack to Sofia Coppola's The Virgin Suicides, it's an all time favourite and without fail, goosepimples me every time. What I didn't realize was that Gordon Tracks, who provided the vocals was a pseudonym used by Thomas Mars, front man for French Indie band, Phoenix. A pleasant surprise then as not only am I a fan, Phoenix have also recorded a fabulous version of 'Playground Love' which may warrant an extra free squeeze from any Wookie you come across.



Phoenix - 'Playground Love'



Check out more of my favourite tracks....here


Related Posts

THURSDAY I'M IN LOVE - Air - 'Playground Love'
4/ 5
Oleh

7 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
21 June 2012 at 07:32

Yes, I've always been a bit of a part-time Air fan, too. Take them or leave them but when they are good they are very good. This was a great way to start today as it was beautifully mellow, had a splendid bit of sax and the video featured the lovely Kirsten Dunst. Great film, of course.

Reply
avatar
21 June 2012 at 08:46

My sentiments exactly SB, when they're good they're really good. Of course Kirsten Dunst, an added bonus, though I haven't seen the film.

Reply
avatar
21 June 2012 at 09:39

First of all I can'not stand Wookies. Pathetic teddies I call them! Never heard the track before infact nothing after 'Safai' but it is really good. A breath of fresh air so to speak! (has he been drinking!)

Reply
avatar
21 June 2012 at 11:18

I think you mean the Ewoks....

Reply
avatar
21 June 2012 at 12:12

Arn't they more or less the same Ewoks are just look like minature Wookies....pathetic teddy bears....Grrrrrrr!

Reply
avatar
sfw
21 June 2012 at 20:18

I remember when we first saw this, after lots of beers and sitting stunned watching MTV. Really like the Phoenix cover - never heard it before. The sax solo is as soothing to me as a scotch is to Ron Burgundy. I love scotch.

Reply
avatar
21 June 2012 at 20:57

Ok, Jabba the Hutt then...a cuddle from Jabba the Hutt!

Reply