Saturday 11 August 2012

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - The Avalanches - 'Since I Left You'




How does the good weather make me feel? It makes me feel like I'm wearing a fat suit filled with helium, much like the miner in this video which is another of my favourites. Regardless of whether twinkle toes is really a skinny bloke dressed up or a rather agile hirsute man, I love the dance routine. Its an amalgamation of so many routines and for the more eagle eyed of you out there, spot the running man!

The Avalanches with their extensive collection

I hadn't heard The Avalanches for years and out of nowhere, this little highly sampled gem came wafting from the radio at work on a day when I managed to get BBC 6music on for longer than during the small wee hours when no one else is awake enough to notice. I argue until I'm blue in the face about the station's eclecticness and "there's something for everyone"! Amongst the rabble and American pilots constantly calling the office over the radio frequency asking for maintenance, catering, toilets to be cleaned and anything else they can think of, my ears pricked up. It was so refreshing to mentally switch off for just a few minutes and chill out to the summery composition. Some have a cigarette break for a nicotine hit, I have the radio for a music hit!



Related Posts

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - The Avalanches - 'Since I Left You'
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
11 August 2012 at 22:47

Wow, I'm sure this song came out earlier than 2001! Stupidly I never liked it as I had been dumped and I was in a bad place. It reminded me of what my ex-girlfriend would be rejoicing to as she waltzed around Australia with her new beau. With the Avalanches being Aussie and the song being so popular at the time also didn't help. However it was a good album and the other single 'Frontier Psychiatrist' is excellent.

Reply
avatar
Jon
11 August 2012 at 23:12

Good call! Reminds me of Sunday mornings after a top night out. Remember being blown away by the quality sampling on this album.

Reply
avatar
13 August 2012 at 18:32

A perfect Sunday morning track especially when you're sitting outside enjoying the sun!

Reply