Sunday 25 November 2012

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 25/11/2012 - On An On, Muse, Clinic, Mala

Four tracks that got us swallowing air in excitement this week. Have you got any for us?


Flycasual:-
Mala - Noche Suenos feat Danay Suarez (2012)


Mala, a London Dubstep DJ/producer spent sometime in Cuba in 2011 recording with Cuban artists on Gilles Peterson's Havana Cultura project. On his return, inspired by his experiences, he created 'Mala in Cuba', his interpretation of Cuban music, a marriage of it's traditional forms with the minimalist, often dark Dubstep sound. BBC's Paul Clarke described elements of Mala in Cuba as the soundtrack to the undiscovered Latin quarter of Blade Runner’s Los Angeles. That's an amazingly evocative description that perfectly sums it up. Noche Suenos, is a stark and atmospheric, Reggae tinged track which features the knee trembling underrated vocal talent that is Danay Suarez (who I have featured a couple of times here).

Old Pa's Corner :-
Clinic - 'Miss You' (2012)

 
This is a track from Liverpool's Clinic from the album called Free Reign (2012). It somehow reminds me of the Kink's All Day and All of the Night. Been very busy this week in preparation of Flycasual's visit today so not listened to too much new stuff, but this one will do nicely thanks and for good measure I have added link to the remix :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCDcL9OMXbQ&feature=relmfu

Wish me luck, I may need it ?

SFW:-
On An On - 'Ghosts' (2012)

ON AN ON is result of the split of Sacred Trees, members Nate Eiesland, Alissa Ricci and Ryne Estwing decided to carry on and with the help of Producer, Dave Newfeld (Broken Social Scene), have recorded their debut album, Give In.

Ghosts sits within the sonic landscape of Grizzly Bear/Broken Social Scene/Beach House, and is Indie Rock at its shoegazing best!


Shell Hunter:-
Muse - 'Follow Me' (2012)

I love where the Muse Journey has taken them. They started out as another indie band that sounded a bit like Radiohead (however, I was still a big fan). Now they are a massive megaband and a good example of their vast and varied style is their new single 'Follow Me' which dabbles in electro, rave and even a bit of dubstep. The real reason that I especially like this track is because once it gets going (at around the 2.12 mark) it sounds like one of my childhood faves 'The Neverending Story' by 80's jungle man Limahl. I feel like punching the air and whooping and imagine I'm soaring through the clouds on Valcor's back. I think if you even listen hard enough to the actual track, you can hear the whooshing noises as you fly through the air. It's hard not to appreciate Matt Bellamy's operatic skills too on this one and the album is definitely worth a listen. Check out their site here for full listings of their stadium tour.

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 25/11/2012 - On An On, Muse, Clinic, Mala
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
25 November 2012 at 13:12

Loving that Clinic tune. 6music have been hammering it and it's really burrowed its way into my brain - brilliant.

I'll be checking out more of Mala in Cuba too - interesting idea. Thanks for the intro Flycasual.

Reply
avatar
2 December 2012 at 14:14

FC - this is good..I like it gather sounds, blend and come up with somthing new?
SFW - i like this also...album would be interesting to hear
SH - I think I like this but i'm not too sure...needs a further listen!

Reply
avatar
13 December 2012 at 16:49

Old Pa, I really like 'Miss You', not sure about the Kinks reference though. Weird stuff I will be checking out more, a good find.

SFW, bizarre video to a bizarre song but it's really good, well described with your sonic landscape comment, pretty much hits the mark.

SH, there's some stand outs on the album but I didn't think this was one of them, why dabble in Dubstep? But since you referenced Neverending Story, I like it.

Reply