Thursday 10 January 2013

DYLAN COVERS #82 Graham Parker - I Threw it all Away/Licence to Kill

Squeezing out the Sparks!

GRAHAM PARKER - I threw it all away(2001)

Graham Parker is quite hot at the moment he has reformed with his excellent backing band the Rumour and is currently doing the rounds to rave reviews. I thought it was only fitting that I did GP covering Dylan. The first one is a take of  "I threw it all away"   'about as perfect a song as you can get'  says Mr Parker. 'Bang on Mr Parker', I say! 

 Unfortunately it is not the best version and the slight reggae tinge does not feel quite right.


It was taken from the Dylan Tribute concert at the Town Hall New York 19th May 2001.
If anyone knows where I can get a copy I will be very happy

 
GRAHAM PARKER - Licence to Kill(2010)

The next one is Dylan's "License to Kill" taken from a concert at Pat Dinizio's 5th Annual Halloween Party
October 30, 2010 at Italian American Hall, Scotch Plains, NJ. What about that then.! There is another version at another location currently on You Tube, but the quality is a bit doggy!

Further Graham Parker Post



Related Posts

DYLAN COVERS #82 Graham Parker - I Threw it all Away/Licence to Kill
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
10 January 2013 at 23:36

Old Graham likes his reggae shuffles doesn't he? I like these versions, almost identical though they are, with a voice as strong and distinctive as Mr Parker's you can't go far wrong.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
11 January 2013 at 07:35

Graham Parker is a fine songwriter with a fine voice but these covers do nothing for me, unfortunately. The reggae lilt sounds like he couldn't think of a more interesting way to present them. Dashed off.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
11 January 2013 at 13:06

I'm pretty sure that's me in the License to Kill video.The guy with hair. In any event I was there...the Smithereens performed a whole beatle album and Pat D shook everyone's hand...and I mean everyone. I saw GP play I threw it all away at Jiggs in about 2007 and was not aware that he did it any other time. My link for that does not work..would have liked to hear it.

Reply
avatar
11 January 2013 at 22:06

Anon - thanks for coming onboard...what ever you said sounds pretty good to me ...but I'm pissed so it sounds even better!!

Reply