Friday 19 July 2013

DYLAN COVERS # 108 Television/Sisters of Mercy - Knocking on Heaven's Door

Cold Irons Bound

 
TELEVISION - Knocking on Heaven's Door

Here are two completely different takes on Bob's classic from Billy the Kid. The first is by Television (remember Marquis Moon, now that was an album) it is from a concert in Brazil on  23-10-2005.

Tom Verlaine also appeared on the  I'm not there  Soundtrack.

The second is from Goth favourites The Sisters of Mercy, maybe the  vocals of  Andrew Eldrige suits the dark nature of the song. Thats for you to decide.  It is a demo and is taken from an album called  Victims of Circumstance. It has appeared on several other Boots too. They have also done the song Live on many occasions.
 
SISTERS OF MERCY - Knocking on Heaven's Door

Related Posts

DYLAN COVERS # 108 Television/Sisters of Mercy - Knocking on Heaven's Door
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
23 July 2013 at 20:51

I bumped into Tom Verlaine in a second hand bookshop in New York in the late 1990's. After a brief conversation, he shook hands, said 'I'm Tom' and left - which was odd.

I've never been a huge Television fan - in fact I own more Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd solo records than albums by their band - but this is a reasonable stab at 'Knocking..'

Not so keen on The Sisters of Mercy version I'm afraid, but then I never did have a Goth phase. Interesting to hear it though.

In my mind I actually associate Goth more with Fields of the Nephilim. Their fans would douse themselves with flour before leaving the house, so whenever the band had a new record out, my shop would be ankle-deep in self-raising by the end of the day!

Reply
avatar
24 July 2013 at 08:47

TS - all very weird...I'm Tom and I'm The Swede...that would have thrown him and as for dousing with flour....

Reply