Sunday 18 August 2013

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 18/08/13 Laura Veirs, The Establishment, The Vaccines, Grant Hart, OutFit

This weeks top scorers are...




London Scouser:-
The Establishment - 'Jennifer Jones' (2013)

Oh what a glorious weekend.... I don't mean the weather obviously, no I mean the football season (Premier version) is back and I for one can't wait for the inevitable disappointment that I've learned to live with in recent years as a Liverpool supporter. But what has that got to do with music I hear you ask ???? Well tenuous of tenuous links here we come.

I heard this the other day and it immediately sent me back to the 80's (which is when Liverpool were the bee's knees) as it sounds like it should be in a John Hughes type film, Pretty In Pink or The Breakfast Club. It might not set the world on fire, but I like it and I hope you do too.

This band who have been around for a few years are managed by none other than Dion Dublin, ex footballer and famous for something to do with time spent in the shower !!!! The video has cameo's by three other ex footie players.... Can you name them ??? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.


Shell Hunter:-
The Vaccines - 'Melody Calling' (2013)


I kept hearing this song and wondered who it was. I never would have guess it was the latest offering from The Vaccines! It is a smooth summer groove, with less vigour than previous singles. Less vigour isn't a bad thing, sometimes you need a song like this to massage your mind when its overworked. The single was first aired back in June with a great quote from Mr Music, Zane Lowe himself saying this was "the hottest record in the World". A bold statement indeed! It was released last week and the good news for Vaccines fans is, it's set to be part of a 3rd album which the boys will get their heads down on early next year!

Flycasual:-
OutFit - 'Want What's Best' (2013)



I've been enjoying OutFit's debut album, Performance, this week. It's a real synth pop treat with full of spooky atmospheric nuances, which I love, all in the mould of Hot Chip, Django Django, Depeche Mode and Johnny Hates Jazz. Ok not quite as catastrophic as JHJ but there are elements of other 80's bands in there that I can't quite pin point, maybe even Tears for Fears. Either way it's all good and certainly makes for an interesting and worthwhile listen fo sho'. The Liverpool band's current single is 'House on Fire' but the highlight for me is 'Want What's Best', it just makes me think of wearing a shiny suit and looking forlornly out of a rainy window......No, really I'm ok!

It's a great video too, it takes something to spray acrylic paint on your face everyday!


Check out OutFit on Double Denim Records.

SFW:-
Laura Veirs - "Sun Song" (2013)


Checkout the summer-esq "Sun Song" which is the opening track on her forthcoming album "Warp and Weft". It features notable guests Jim James, Neko Case, k.d. lang and members of the Decemberists and is due for release on the 20th August.

She's touring the UK in November, check out the dates through her label, Bella Union.  It's now time to dip my toes in the sea.

Old Pa's Corner :-
Grant Hart - Morningstar(2013)


This is a track from Grant Harts's album The Argument (2013). Grant was once with the alternate Rock Band  Husker Du  and has been pursuing a mainly solo career since the late nineties.

This is a nice haunting track and has been a favourite of mine over the past few weeks.

Subscribe to our 2013 Tracks of the Week Spotify Playlist




Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 18/08/13 Laura Veirs, The Establishment, The Vaccines, Grant Hart, OutFit
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
19 August 2013 at 16:38

LS. Like you say, unlikely to set the world on fire, but a really enjoyable little tune nonetheless.

SH. I was staggered the first time I heard this a few weeks ago. I've never liked anything by The Vaccines before, but 'Melody Calling' is a virtually perfect pop song - wonderful stuff. I'll certainly be a lot more open to their future releases.

flycasual. New to me. I like it a lot and the mini-documentary is interesting too, although is it just me that feels a little uncomfortable that his character wields a gun in the high street?

SFW. Nice song and video.

Old Pa. Good to hear Grant Hart back in action. I have a couple of his early solo albums, but have lost touch a bit in recent years. This is very good indeed. Hüsker Dü were one of the loudest bands I've ever seen - scary volume!

Reply
avatar
21 August 2013 at 10:50

LS, it's the reason why they were footballers and not actors, Wor Les, Psycho and Ted. Not bad but I'll take Molly Ringwald anytime.

SH, different indeed but that doesn't make that bad at all, infact this is good. The first thing it reminded me of was the Dandy Warhols...is that bad?

Sfw, I love this and like you say very summery but there's a real air of melancholy there as we approach summers final curtain call. Sigh.

Old Pa, not bad at all. After the Swede's comments though I should probably catch up on some Husker Du, I've never heard any of their stuff.

Reply
avatar
23 August 2013 at 10:22

LS - i like this little number nice and catchy after a few hearings I could be singing along
SH - this is nice too in the same way as the previous track...melody is OK with me
FC - the video made me smile all the way thru...how we suffer for our art. The tune is a fookin' grower
SFW - this is pleasant too melody shines thru this week and that is not bad

Reply