Saturday 5 October 2013

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 06/10/13 - Nightmares On Wax, Turin Brakes, Justin Timberlake, City and Colour, Deep Dark Woods

Five tracks that shut down the US Government....





London Scouser:-
Turin Brakes - 'We Were Here' (2013)


This songs answers a question I've been thinking of for a few years. Where have you been ???
Turin Brakes were a band that I always looked forward to hearing new stuff from after I heard their debut album 'The Optimist' way back in 2001. They have a simple style of great vocals and acoustic guitar with some catchy lyrics that get you humming along almost straight away.
This song doesn't fail to tick any of the above boxes and I say a warm welcome back to my listening attention.

Shell Hunter:-
Justin Timberlake - 'Take Back The Night' (2013)


So Mister Trousersnake is taking sexy back...again, with his latest album The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2. Take Back The Night is the lead single from it released back in July but I've only just heard it. The reason I like this so much is not only it's nice disco feel but it's so Michael Jackson it hurts! I expect to hear "mama say mama sa mamama poosa" any minute! I can't fault him in any way, he looks damn good, he's got a great pop voice and that boy has the moves on the dancefloor. Glad to have him back in the music world again!

Sfw:-
City and Colour - Thirst (2013)

City and Colour, aka Dallas Green, has been consistently putting out great material over the last few years.  Thirst is the debut single from his latest album, The Hurry and the Harm and is no exception. The video features Skulls and a sexy girl which is everything you need for a Sunday

Flycasual:-
Nightmares On Wax - 'Be, I Do' (2013)



Shift work's a bitch. This weekend will be the first weekend that I'll have had off, with my wife and son, in over two months and I'm beside myself with excitement. A Friday feeling, a trip to TK Maxx and maybe a trip to Toby Carvery beckons. Nightmares on Wax were a favourite of mine when I was heavily into Trip Hop in the 90's, particularly as they mixed in Reggae and Hip Hop into their chilled vibe and 'Be, I Do' is well up to standard. The track is taken from their 7th album which was out last month and it will be special treat to be playing this to go with the Sunday papers and a bacon buttie.

Nightmares on Wax on Warp records....


Old Pa's Corner:-
The Deep Dark Woods - East St Louis (2013)


I don't know if this is legal or even if it is morally correct and I know it has never been done before. But what the hell, everything has got to have a first and I will stand tall and I will take all of the consequences.

Last week I choose an older track by TDDW as I could not find anything of their new album  Jubilee (2013). Well, I have listened to the new album and it is brilliant, one of my favourites of this year. I absolutely adore this catchy melodic track  East St Louis. I am sure there is a little nod in there to the Beach Boys, which is of course is a good thing.

This is a must hear album.


Subscribe to our 2013 Tracks of the Week Spotify Playlist







Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 06/10/13 - Nightmares On Wax, Turin Brakes, Justin Timberlake, City and Colour, Deep Dark Woods
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
7 October 2013 at 10:13

LS - this is pleasant enough....would benefit from further hearing
SH - agree very MJ...the cover of the album is good
SfW - the best on so far....throw in 5 pints, bottle of red, a roast dinner and a couple of brandies and I agree Sunday sorted
FC - this is great to...have to say i found 'the scratch' annoying, maybe it is just me!! throw in 5 pints, bottle of red, a roast dinner and a couple of brandies and I agree Sunday sorted

Reply
avatar
12 October 2013 at 12:59

It's a dead heat for me this week, with Nightmares on Wax and The Deep Dark Woods sharing the honours. I need to go back and check out that previous TDDW tune again Old Pa.

Reply
avatar
15 October 2013 at 12:29

LS, I definitely have a soft spot for them, that first album was brilliant. I will give this a few more listens, I'm sure it's a grower.

Shell Hunter, I've certainly knows how to move and this is a tune! Shades of Michael fo sho...and the horns say....

Sfw, despite the promise of skulls and sexy birds, this was ok. I went through a fase of listening to C&C so I might check out the album.

Old Pa, I can't believe you've done this, the balance of the universe is all out of sync now. It's just as well as this is a fantastic track, a real surprise.

Reply