Thursday 7 November 2013

The Bluetones - 'Autophilia'

Saturday Night Jukebox...
Everyone has a guilty pleasure
Has anyone seen my Chas and Dave tape?

The Bluetones got it right about my first car.....

 

The Bluetones - 'Autophilia (or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love My Car)' (2000)

Part 1

Does everyone remember their first car? I used to roll my eyes when my mum used to get all excited when a 2CV rolled by ranting about her first car but now I'm the same. It wasn't until my 18th birthday that I fancied taking to the roads myself and I got driving lessons for it. My mum came home one day and said she drove past the perfect car for me, a 1974 VW beetle. I was infatuated with them from a young age with their cute and friendly bug shape, so lifelike I thought! We went down to take a look and Cupid struck. I was in love! It was bright red, lowered, with fat with a 'PH' wheels, massive chrome bumpers and spoiler. I even loved the cheesy stickers of the word 'Jazz' and a couple of saxophones on the side a previous owner had lovingly placed on. It came complete with black furry dice and a California licence plate! If that wasn't enough, after a test drive the sound was like 100 Harley's cruising down 66, loud and proud, I had to have it! It was a beautiful beast but looks were deceiving, it needed urgent welding surgery to pass it's mot, luckily 'Ginger Barry' down the road was happy to oblige in return for a pint or 2 down the local. I imagined Luke Skywalker the first time he set eyes on the Millennium Falcon in his screechy tone, saying 'what a piece of junk!' and me answering with Han Solo's defensive manor 'She may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts!'

Almost as sexy as my Jazzman...
Needless to say, with my incentive now parked on the drive at home, I passed my test first time and was eager to pop my driving cherry to college the following week. I had already painstakingly created a masterpiece for my first car tape knowing full well I would always have a full house being the first of my group to have a car. I also decided to call my car Jazzman, which he was known to all and I spoke to him like he was my best pal. I remember getting behind the wheel of Jazzman for the first time, adjusting the mirror and seat, ejecting the Chas and Dave greatest hits tape that was already in the cassette player from when we bought it and excitedly putting in my own mega mix. I was not a bit nervous, driving was not like the panicky, sweaty driving lessons but I felt free and blissfully independent! Off I went and how the people stared as I drove by! You could hear me coming a mile away and I was now part of an elite club. Fellow beetle owners would knowingly wave and nod as we passed each other on the road. I had arrived!

Come back next week for Part 2..........

Have a listen to my gulty pleasures playlist!

Related Posts

The Bluetones - 'Autophilia'
4/ 5
Oleh

6 comments

comments
avatar
8 November 2013 at 08:05

Fabulous Post SH....I remeber these heady 'expensive' days, He was certainly a red beast with character, long may he run!

Reply
avatar
C
8 November 2013 at 08:55

Lovely post SH! You've really evoked those feelings of excitement and trepidation at passing the test and getting your first car. I felt just the same about my first one which I had in the late 80s, a very cute 1969 Triumph Herald (it had to be a 60s car!) which I called ('Dear') Prudence, and treated like a much loved pet!
Look forward to part two of your tale.

Reply
avatar
8 November 2013 at 09:40

SHELLHUNTER is back in the big time....just like a Formula 1 Racer.

Reply
avatar
8 November 2013 at 16:23

Good to have you back Ms Hunter. Never really liked the Bluetones but I remember you add such an affiliation to this song because of Jazzman. I really can't be arsed with cars, it took my 4 goes for my test and I can see myself ending up with a Fiat Multipla soon anyway. Beetle first car, cool! I was jealous though.

Reply
avatar
14 November 2013 at 20:31

Dad hired a VW Beetle for a couple of weeks of holiday in 1969 or 1970. We were unaware of the whole waving and flashing thing that goes on between fellow VW'ers - and there were a lot more of them about in those days. We initially thought that there was something wrong with the car and that they were waving at us to let us know. After the fifth time of pulling over and checking tyres etc, we twigged and eagerly joined in with the friendly greetings at passing strangers, tutting at the 'newbies' who didn't wave back!

Great post Shell Hunter, looking forward to part 2.

Reply
avatar
15 November 2013 at 11:34

Thanks everyone for your comments! Sometimes it takes a catalyst to get the words flowing again, and jazzman is a worthy catalyst! I remember Flycasual stayed over once and I leant him my room, little did He realise that my stereo has an alarm set to go off with music and funnily enough it was this song. That's enough to make anyone think twice about listening to the Bluetones!

Reply