Wednesday 4 December 2013

Little Village - Fool Who Knows

OLD PA'S WEDNESDAY CLUB

The Village
Some Village People
Two Wednesday Club visits this week, well it will soon be Christmas!
 
LITTLE VILLAGE - Fool Who Knows (1992)

I missed the series The Village when it first came out earlier this year. (How did I let that slip through the net?)

Thanks to a song on the Singing Bear's 'must check' site Growing up Backwards. I became aware of it. I got hold of the series immediately and thought I would check out the first episode and see what it was like. It was great, just up my street. A gritty period drama. The place, well a little village in England silly. The time was just before and during the first World War.

It was about poverty. survival, the First World War, Shell shock, Social Injustice and of course sex and scandal, just up my ally.

Old Ma and I watched the first episode and then decided to watch episode two. After that we both said together, lets have just one last episode. I got to bed at 02:30 after we had watched the whole series, about 6 hours worth.

Of course you can do that sort of thing when you are retired, well you know yourself!.

Highly recommended and bring on the next series.

This was and ideal excuse for me to introduce what I suppose was a super group called Little Village and was made up of Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, John Hiatt and Jim Keltner. They released a great self titled one of album, which is worth checking out.

I choose a live take of Fool Who Knows just to let you see the guys in action. 

Related Posts

Little Village - Fool Who Knows
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
4 December 2013 at 09:50

That's quite a recommendation Old Pa. I'd already added 'The Village' to my list of ones to watch after Singing Bear mentioned it, but it's now been promoted. Not sure I'll manage it in one sitting though!
I saw Little Village at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1992, the only time I've seen John Hiatt or Ry Cooder in concert. A great show.

Reply
avatar
4 December 2013 at 11:26

TS - you should write a book about all the concerts you have see...what with keeping your ticket stubs and all....more concert posts please.

Reply
avatar
13 January 2014 at 13:02

I'll be sure to miss this series. I loved the Little Village album, I remember you playing it loads....Big Love is my fav along with Don't Think About Her......

Reply