Friday 20 December 2013

Shell Hunter's Best Of 2013


Bye bye 2013, unlucky for some but not me. I've visited new places like New York, Jamaica and Benidorm(!), and experienced a fantastic music festival, Latitude (see you next year!). What made these experiences extra special were the recommendations of songs and bands that made up the many playlists I've created and loved on my travels. Thank you guys for taking the time out to share your favourite tracks and memories and giving me your two pennies worth on mine. Here's to a renewed zest for the same in 2014!


Josephine - 'Portrait'

One that cuts a little too close to the bone about true self reflection that I struggle to listen to without shedding a tear. That coupled with a beautiful nostalgic voice makes for an unforgettable and meaningful song for me.




Junip - 'Line Of Fire'

Brings me back great memories of lounging on the grass on a very sunny Sunday afternoon at Latitude Festival, shades on and cold cider in hand, watching one of the most perfect bands for the mood. Junip fast became a favourite group of mine, thanks to the push from SFW. My track of the year.


Pearl Jam - 'Sirens'

This one came out of nowhere (actually London Scouser's TOTW) and absolutely blew me away. One of the most romantic rock songs I've heard in a very long time, rivalling even my favourite 'All Night Thing' by Temple Of The Dog which was sung by fellow band mate Chris Cornell. Eddie Vedder could melt even the coldest of black hearts with this best example of his fabulous voice. Worth reading the lyrics here.


Robert DeLong - 'Global Concepts'

Brilliant and innovative with drumming that I can't get enough of. I look forward to hearing more of what Robert can do. Some may sneer at the dropping of the 'F' bomb but I think it's essential. I always imagine being in a packed club in LA, that line blaring out with the beat kicking in and me getting swallowed up by the crowd loving it!




Night Engine - 'Seventeen'

These guys were a big part of my music year ever since I found out a friend from college was in the band. Full of guitar funk with excellent synths, their energy is infectious and if ever a band was worthy of being signed it's them. Keep you're eyes on them, I know I will.

Have a listen to the rest of my Top 20 below!



Related Posts

Shell Hunter's Best Of 2013
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
21 December 2013 at 21:10

Great stuff Shell Hunter, but no Steve Mason? I'm surprised! That Josephine tune is so good. Happy Christmas!

Reply
avatar
6 January 2014 at 22:55

Thanks TS, yes it is strange, Steve made my Top 40 but I guess the album didn't have the edge I was looking for. There are a few corkers on it though!

Reply