Friday 6 December 2013

Simple Minds - 'Mandela Day'

R.I.P. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela




When I heard the news that Mandela had passed away, a strange feeling came over me, as if a small part of me had also died. A little melodramatic maybe but I had grown up in the eighties where Apartheid was at it's height, the boycotts, the savage imagery and the protest songs were always in the news. I also visited South Africa, albeit on holiday, with my parents when I was 8 years old and saw it first hand...'white only beach', 'white only shop', 'white only drinking fountain' and I never understood why and perhaps I never will. Then there was this man, who despite it all, kept 'rowing against the current', taught us about redemption and irrespective of colour, class or creed inspired many across a nation and throughout the world.


Simple Minds - 'Mandela Day' (1988)

There have been many songs from various artists that have covered Mandela's life but I suppose Simple Mind's 'Mandela Day' struck a chord with me when it came out in 1988, capturing a mood which I remember to this day. It has been a long time since I heard it and it came on the radio this morning, it was 'a everyone be quiet and stop what you're doing' moment. We lost one of the good guys....RIP Nelson R Mandela


Related Posts

Simple Minds - 'Mandela Day'
4/ 5
Oleh

1 comments:

comments
avatar
6 December 2013 at 13:26

I was about to do a tribute but glad you got there first. Fabulous tribute, I could not say it better and not many will.
A moment to remember forever in all our lives. People have been proclaimed 'saints' for a lot less.

It was great to see and hear people singing in the streets and that is the way it should. A celebration for a great man.

Reply