Sunday 15 December 2013

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 15/12/2013 - Broken Bells, Jose Gonzalez, The Nightwatchman, Leisure Society, M.I.A.

Five tracks that brought us some 'Madiba Magic' this week...




Shell Hunter:-
Broken Bells - 'Holding On For Life' (2013)

 

I heard this last night on my drive home whilst listening to XFM's Import/Export which is like a battle of the top tracks in London vs L.A. I had to turn it up becasue I was confused as to why XFM were playing The Bee Gees! I then found out the american indie duo is made up by Brian Burton, better known as Danger Mouse and lead guitarist/vocalist James Mercer from The Shins. Their second album After The Disco is due out early next year and if this is anything to go by, I shall be donning  some tight white slacks and swaying side to side 70s style at my xmas party next week! You can't beat a bit of indie disco!

Sfw:-
Jose Gonzalez - Stay Alive (2013)


I've been captivated by this song and just cannot stop listening to it.  It's the sort of song that makes you fall in love music and dare I say it, makes the world a better place.

The song features on the soundtrack for the Ben Stiller movie, "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and was penned by Ryan Adams, other contributions on the soundtrack include Junip, Jack Johnson, Of Monsters and Men and a version on David Bowie's, "Space Oddity", that features vocals by Kristen Wig.



Flycasual:-
M.I.A. - Matangi (2013)


I'm a long term fan of Mathangi Arulpragasam, when I first heard 'Galang' back in 2005 I was blown away. It was glorious musical chaos, much in the same vain as the likes of Public Enemy or the Chemical Brothers. Not short on controversy, she's a fierce female role model (her words are her armour apparently), innovative, she pissed off the Yanks at the Super Bowl and she hails from Hounslow, reprazent!! (I was unfortunate to live there). I look forward to every release but bar, 'Bad Girls', which was a great track, I found the singles from the new album, Matangi, disappointing. So I approached the album with a degree trepidation and found it to be a little disjointed, however there are some very good moments on it, notably the Dhol beat driven, 'Matangi', which goes someway to recapturing that form that made her so unique in the first place.

London Scouser:-
The Nightwatchman - 'Which Side Are You On?' (2011)


I was clearing up an old hard drive recently and came across a playlist that I had downloaded a couple of years ago. On it was this gem which came out in 2011, on The Nightwatchman's 3rd album 'Union Town'. The Nightwatchman is none other than Tom Morello, the awesome guitarist of Rage Against The Machine & Audioslave amongst many others. However as soon as you hear this, you realise how different the style is to his previous works. He keeps his political views in the songs, but in a manner which you could find your granny not frowning to and instead of saying something along the lines of 'Music ??? That's not music' or 'They certainly don't write them like they use to' she might actually enjoy it.
This is a cover of a song written in the 1930's which has been covered by a number of artists including Natalie Merchant & Deacon Blue. I'm sure Old Pa will be able to share with us all which song by Bob Dylan this was referenced in..... If he can't, then answers on a postcode to the usual address

Old Pa's Corner:-
The Leisure Society - A Softer Voice Takes Longer Hearing (2013)


I have not had much time to listen to new music this week but while trying to compile my Best Twenty for the Year. I came across this little Gem by the Leisure Society taken from their album  Alone Aboard The Ark (2013).

I had forgotten about this one and even although it is from around April time, it is definitely one to share and has gone straight into my Best Twenty of the Year.




Subscribe to our 2013 Tracks of the Week Spotify Playlist



Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 15/12/2013 - Broken Bells, Jose Gonzalez, The Nightwatchman, Leisure Society, M.I.A.
4/ 5
Oleh

1 comments:

comments
avatar
13 January 2014 at 12:59

Shell Hunter, I like this, I really enjoyed the previous album so will look forward to the new album. Video...gutted!

Sfw, he's not bad this Jose Gonzalez character...

LS, great track...Tom Morello....boom!

Old Pa, I remember this from April, you must have forgotten about it. Really good, surprising that they haven't had any more exposure.

Reply