Sunday 26 January 2014

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 26/01/14 - Damon Albarn, Beck, Silversun Pickups, Linkin Park and Steve Aoki, Future Islands

Five tracks to enjoy in the pub garden...just bring your wellies!

 
 

Shell Hunter:-
Future Islands - 'Seasons (Waiting On You)' (2014)

My favourite synth-pop group finally have a new single out, followed by a new ablum entitled 'Singles' in March! Future Islands fast became my most listened to group of 2011 (see more here) and are also due to do a couple of gigs here in London in the next few months. This video is a cocked Stetson to cowboys and fits perfectly with their signature 80s dreamy sound. I'm definitely feeling a grower in this one, it gives me goose bumps! Why, it's purtier than a new calf in springtime!

London Scouser:-
Linkin Park & Steve Aoki - 'A Light That Never Comes' (2013)


I find it hard to believe that this is Linkin Park's 25th single release. I was a huge fan when they came onto the scene in 2000 but I felt that after a while their tracks sounded a bit samey. And this track has elements of the samey-ness that drove me away a little, but maybe the electro addition that Steve Aoki brought to the party has helped (is it me or does the intro sound like 'Kickstarts by Example ??). This was released in October last year and has only just hit my musical radar. Its from their second remix album 'Recharged' and on the strength of this I'll certainly give it a listen.

Old Pa's Corner:-
Beck - Blue Moon (2014)

 

Mr Hansen has been very frugal with tasters from his long awaited new album Morning Phase (2014) I heard bits of this track a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed. Now that I have heard the full track it was worth the wait. If the rest of the album is on a par then we have a real classic on our hands. But I have always thought that Beck albums are pretty inconsistent, there's usually some inspirational brilliance mixed in with a lot of mediocrity. I am sure this will not impress all you Beck die hards, saying that I recognise the brilliance and am thirsty for some more.

Flycasual:-
Damon Albarn - 'Everyday Robots' (2014)


I promised myself that if I ever got a smartphone I wouldn't be like one of the countless people, aimlessly walking around with their heads buried in their device, always connected, always aloof. Unfortunately I have become an everyday robot, like the opening line of this song, as I find myself doing just that, a scourge on modern society, I suppose. Despite the sobering tone, the first single taken from Damon Albarn's solo album of the same name, is a fabulously bleak track with the strings particularity haunting, a sign of things to come. I'm a big fan of Damon in all his forms and will be looking forward to it's release sometime in April.....oooh a text, somebody sent me a pic of a cat in a suit..ahh!!!

Damon Albarn's website here....

Sfw:-
Silversun Pickups - 'Cannibal' (2014)


The Los Angeles foursome are a band that I'll occasionally listen to when I need a fix of some fuzz-pop. It's scary to think that they've been around for nearly 10 years and in Feb, they will be releasing The Singles Collection. It features tracks from the band's debut EP, 2005's Pikul, and three full-length albums: 2006's Carnavas, 2009's Swoon, and 2012's Neck of the Woods. "Cannibal" is the one new track on the release. Smashing Pumpkins-meets-NIN.

Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...


Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 26/01/14 - Damon Albarn, Beck, Silversun Pickups, Linkin Park and Steve Aoki, Future Islands
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
27 January 2014 at 10:55

SH - I like this one it sounds a bit like a cross between Josephine and OMD and that is a good thing
LS - sounds like a meeting of Suarez and John Terry meeting at Stringfellows
FC - I too are a big fan of DA. I will definately be checking out his album...this needs a couple of hearing for it to click in.
SFW - this is pretty good too!

Reply
avatar
30 January 2014 at 12:50

SH, this is def a grower, will look fwd to the album.

LS, I approached this without excepting much and I wasn't to be disappointed.

Old Pa, you may be right about the inconsistency somewhat but when the tracks are good, they are off the scale. I was a little disappointed when I first heard this but not so now.

Sfw, good comparison, this is pretty good.

Reply
avatar
7 February 2014 at 18:04

LS- the emo kid in me likes this!
Pa- I've liked everything I've heard from Beck's new stuff so far but nothing has wowed me. I will definitely listen to the album though.
Fly- excellent track from a music god. Don't beat yourself up too much about the phone thing, you're conscious of it, that sets you asides!
Sfw- great track, really like it. NiN, spot on

Reply