Sunday 30 November 2014

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 30/11/2014 Blake Mills, Gang of Youths, Run The Jewels

Three Tracks that forced us awake!




Old Pa's Corner:-
Blake Mills - Don't Tell Our Friends About Me (2014)

 

I love this one from an album by Blake Mills called Heigh Ho (2014). There are parts in that song I think we can all identify with, but I won't go in to that right now! It reminds me a bit of Ry Cooder in style. I heard this track by chance and have had it on constantly since. I have just read a stunning review of the album in Uncut so I am off to listen to the whole album. If it is as good as this then Xmas has come early.


Sfw:
Gang of Youths - Poison Drums (2014)


Sydney based hoodlums, Gang of Youths seem to have it all.  Poison Drum is like a "Weird Science" combo of The National-War on Drugs-Springsteen all rolled up into a masterpiece of a song.  It has attitude, a melody and gets better and better with every listen.  I love it!

Flycasual:- 
Run The Jewels - 'Close Your Eyes' feat Zach De La Rocha (2014)


Fierce, relentless and noisy, this reminded me of what it was like listening to Public Enemy back in the day. Zach De La Rocha's verse making me feel particularly rebellious by tempting me to go and knock at my next door neighbour's house and run away! Anyway, needless to say this knocked me out like Mickey Rourke's Russian come back last week. Run The Jewels are Old School champ Killer Mike and producer extraodinaire EL-P, 'Close Your Eyes' is taken from their 2nd album, Run The Jewels 2. What we do need to hear more of is Zach......come on pal, sometimes even middle aged dad's need to kick over their recycling bins.

Download the new album here.....word!



Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 30/11/2014 Blake Mills, Gang of Youths, Run The Jewels
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
2 December 2014 at 07:33

Gang of Youths - nice blast. Like the drums, the chiming guitar bit and the bits where his vocal gets slightly hysterical. Will look out for them. Wide screen music.





Reply
avatar
sfw
3 December 2014 at 22:00

There's a lot of effing and jeffing in this weeks mix. I'll stick my "yoofs"

Reply