Wednesday 16 September 2015

Webb Pierce - There Stands the Glass/Sham 69 - Hurry 'up Happy

OLD PA

DRINKING SONGS
It's my first one to-day !!
 

WEBB PIERCE - There Stands the Glass

I love drinking songs, and there are many around. You can get the Country ones like There Stands the Glass which is fabulous. Van Morrison does the song justice on his Clountry Album.  The theme is taylor made for Country. Last Night the Bottle let Me Down is probably my favourite title. I love that one.

There are so many great Drinking songs, I don't even want to start to think about them all. Probably my favourite may me the Hansome Family's, So Much Wine, nicely dark and Chrismassy, but there are so many.

How can you follow Sham 69's, Hurry Up Harry, that is what I call plain and simply, inspired. 'We're going down the Pub'.  Fucking Brilliant!

 
SHAM 69 - Hurry Up Harry

Here is Old Pa's attempt at a drinking song, it's only first attempt and can be improved, mines a pint of Mandela. Cheers Mate!.

HEY! BILLY

What a day
dry as a bone
could kill for pint
will see you mate
don't be late
see ya down
The Rose and Crown

Hey Billy
get 'em in
mines a pint of Mandela

Day is done
I got a thirst
could murder a pint
will see you mate
don't be late
your buying
At the Red lion

Hey Billy
get 'em in
mines a pint of Britney

On way home
need to hydrate
could swing for a pint
will see you mate
don't be late
see ya Jock
at the Fighting Cock

Hey Billy
get 'em in
mines a pint of Jagger

Six pints
get 'em down
i need another pint
with all my mates
right states
great folk
at the Royal Oak

Hey Billy
get 'em in
I'm Brahms and Lyst

Heres another little country attempt simple and short:


ONLY A DRINK AWAY

You were the best Love
I ever had
it was me who put out the flame
but i never learned when i was bad

the problem was always me
I was only a drink away


When you left and went your way
takin little jane
that bottle was always there for me
to take away my pain

the problem was always me
i was only a drink away


Sitting here despreatly all alone
thinking of you
i turn again to my only friend
to try and rid this blue

the problem was was always me
i was only a drink away 


And on a lighter note:


I BLAME THE WINE

one too many glasses
and it all goes wrong
a misplaced word
said by me
that she picks upon
an old grievance surfaces
the atmosphere is gone
all the anticipation
spills down the drain
all the old arguments
the darkness the pain
there is nothing left
only my blame

i blame the wine,
too much wine
i blame the wine


Related Posts

Webb Pierce - There Stands the Glass/Sham 69 - Hurry 'up Happy
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
21 September 2015 at 21:00

You can't beat 'Drinkin' Wine, Spo-Dee-O-Dee' Old Pa. Pass that bottle to me!

Reply
avatar
11 October 2015 at 09:09

And I'll sing no more....til I get a drink! I have to agree with your choices. Maybe you should write one about a family bucket?!

Reply