Sunday 1 June 2014

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 01/06/2014 - Eels, Tom Vek, The Horrors, Fang Island

You'll find nothing Cheesy here - 4 tracks to chase!



SFW:-
Eels - A Swallow in the Sun (2014)
I have religiously bought Mark E.Everett (EELS) albums ever since Beautiful Freak in 1996.  He's an artist that I've stuck with, despite his material often leaving me disappointed.  I've admired him/them best when the songs have bared all and this doesn't disappoint.  Intelligent with dark humour, this delivers yet more unhappy endings. A Swallow in the Sun features on his most recent album, The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett. The sadness triumphs again. Phew!

Old Pa's Corner :-
Tom Vek - Broke (2014)
 
I just had to feature this one, not only because I like it, but this lad was born in Hounslow in Middlesex and I spent a lot of my life in that part of the woods. Another reason is, that as the whole Tune Doctor Team are all going to Latitude in July, we are trying, if possible to feature artist who are in the line up.  T.V. is in the line up and after hearing this I will certainly be checking him out.

I wonder if he ever drank in the Rifleman in Hounslow?, Shellhunter's favourite underage drinking Pub. Hey! Tom, lets us know if you have downed in the Rifleman!

The track is from his new album Luck (2014).

Shell Hunter:-
The Horrors - 'So Now You Know' (2014)
Love this new song by The Horrors from their latest album Luminus, real eases last month. It's got a great 80s vibe and I can't stop singing it. I remember a few years back when I met the arrival of a KLM flight and saw a group of guys walk off with skinny jeans, beanies and plimsoles on and thought, they must be a band. I checked the passenger list and saw there were 4 passengers with excess baggage comments and that gave it away, bands have band equipment. I googled their names and came up with The Horrors, so since then I've always been interested in them.   Their sound can be described as shoegaze, goth-rock, dream pop or post punk which doesn't really mean much to me, I just like the fact the whispy vocals and synths remind me of 80s film soundtracks. There has to be a few 'horrific' gems on this album if this is anything to go by!

London Scouser:-
Fang Island - 'Sisterly'
I'll be honest and say I can't remember how I came across this Brooklyn based band. I added their 2012 album 'Major' to my 'One's to listen to' folder on Spotify and this week that's what I've done. I'm pretty happy with the results too. Great indie anthems with my favourite being 'Sisterly'. The video is pretty good too, its your basic studio video but with gratuitous cuddly toy throwing... Maybe the director used to work on 'The Generation Game'... #shutthatdoor


Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 01/06/2014 - Eels, Tom Vek, The Horrors, Fang Island
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
2 June 2014 at 08:02

Eels - unfailingly good and always touching.

Tom Vek - don't know anything about him but the Latitude line-up looks great. Get to see First Aid Kit for me. This is a pretty good tune.

The Horrors - yes, it sounds like skinny jeans, beanies and plimsoles, which I understand in certain constituencies is a 'good thing'.

Fang Island - would have gained extra Bear Points if the video *had* featured Larry Grayson.

Reply
avatar
4 June 2014 at 23:15

Sfw, I know exactly what you mean about the Eels, I've always had an ear out for them but nothing else has quite come through since Beautiful Freak. This is good though.

Old Pa, brilliant. I was a huge fan of his debut, I think it was out almost 9 years ago, written in his room/garage and it was like UK's answer to Beck or something. Well worth a listen. Wonder if he was drinking partners with MIA and the Bluetones?

SH, another corker, plenty of 80's references here. Skinny jeans, how do they get in them? Remember Sfw's 'leggings'?

An LS 'Obscure American Guitar Band' special, not bad but gets extra flycasual points for featuring Oprah Winfrey as one of the backing singers.

Reply