Monday 14 July 2014

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 13/07/2014 - No Devotion, Ibibio Sound Machine, King Creosote, KT Tunstall

Four tracks which will dry your tears...



Old Pa's Corner :-
King Creosote - For One Night Only (2014)


 

The new King of Scotland, no, not that Salmon bloke, it is King Creosote and he has a new album out on the 21st of July. It is always great to here from the King and this sampler is rather good, it is rather epic in fact. It is on the album From Scotland with Love (2014). I can't wait for  the release, one of the most anticipated albums of the year for me.The best song that Belle and Sebastion did not do.

Shell Hunter:-
Ibibio Sound Machine - 'Lets Dance - Yak Inek Unek' (2014)

Oooo it's getting close now! This is the last track of the week before we go to Latitude this coming Thursday. The Tunedr Team will be travelling in convoy up the motorway to (hopefully) sunny Southwold. Needless to say we can hardly contain ourselves! As part of a mass playlist of lots of the bands featured, this one from Ibibio Sound Machine really gets me in the mood! Fronted by British/ Nigerian singer Eno Williams, this London based group have blasted onto the music scene with this excellent high energy single from their self titled debut album. It's full of funk and with the addition of a Ghanaian guitarist, a Brazilian Percussionist, a good dose of horns and Eno Williams mum's Southeastern Nigerian dialect, it really is a special combination. They'll be playing on Saturday afternoon and I know I won't be able to sit still. Must be careful not to spill my cider!
Solomon Grey - 'Electric Baby' (2014)


London Scouser:-
KT Tunstall - 'Invisible Empire' (2013)


I mentioned last week that I met Howe Gelb and he recommended 2 artists to me. When he asked me about KT Tunstall I was honest and said that she wasn't really my cup of tea, but he told me that he had worked with her on her last album 'Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon' and that it was a change of style for her that I should check out. It was recorded in Tucson in 2012 and definitely has a 'Giant Sand' feel to it, definitely one I will listen to. This track was the second single released last year. Maybe if I wasn't a muscial snob I would have discovered it last year... 


Sfw:-
No Devotion - 'Eyeshadow' (2014)

Checkout this fantastic track by No Devotion.  Listen, listen & listen - New Order-meets-The Horrors-meets-Duran Duran, which is not a bad thing!


Listen or even better, subscribe to our tracks of the week playlist here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 13/07/2014 - No Devotion, Ibibio Sound Machine, King Creosote, KT Tunstall
4/ 5
Oleh

1 comments:

comments
avatar
14 July 2014 at 13:36

Old Pa. They're absolutely hammering this on 6Music and rightly so. Fantastic tune. I must get around to doing a proper post on KC.

Shellhunter. Hah! No motorway to Southwold i'm afraid, so you'll have to stick with crawling along the A12, a situation I know very well. If the sun comes out, I can see Ibibio being one of the hits of the festival - a great album.

London Scouser. When KT started out with King Creosote and the Fence Collective all those years ago, I looked forward to where she might go and the music she'd make, but nothing she's done since has truly grabbed me. I've even been to see her live to see if I was missing something. This is a nice enough tune, I certainly wouldn't switch it off, but I'd like to hear a few more rough edges kept in the mix.

Sfw. While listening to this I had to look at my watch to check the year - thought I'd dropped down a wormhole, back through time! Not my bag per se, but OK.

Reply