Thursday 7 January 2016

Shell Hunter's - Best 5 of 2015



2015 - ANOTHER GREAT YEAR OF MUSIC


It's been an amazingly life changing year not to mention very busy! Time and freedom, 2 things I took for granted before, are now a very valuable commodity so unfortunately Tunedr had to take the hit. Always at the back of my mind though, were ideas for posts and memories that still came flooding back through music. We can't let this end! I want to say a very big thank you to Old Pa for keeping us afloat with his musical medicine and growing talent for poetry. I am also thankful for the wonderfully varied Tracks Of The Week playlist, as without it and the other members of Tunedr, I would've heard nothing but Bach's Lullaby for a year!


Jamie XX - 'Loud Places ft. Romy'



A track that has what I loved about The XX, the sparse backing and Romy's distinct wispy voice. Once the chorus comes in, it's impossible not to get goosebumps. My song of the year.

Songs Of Boda - 'Where My Hands My Go'



This one came out of nowhere (actually from SFW), as it wasn't my usual cup of tea. I was listening to the TOTW playlist whilst out jogging and it got under my skin in a major way. After you get over the initial school kid giggles about the lyrics, you are hit with the haunting Mark Knophler-esque guitar. I remember it was the first song that came into my head to desperately soothe my crying little one. We found that "hideaway, secret place". Worthy of a lullaby.

Paper Kites - 'Electric Indigo'



Just loved this (thanks again SFW)! Fantastic 80s love song feel to it accompanied by a perfect video that will have you whooping at the end. Sometimes you and a song just click. 

Widowspeak - 'All Yours'



I was keen to impress my new mummy friends with an eclectic but chilled playlist which was kindly donated by Flycasual. During our tea and cake, this song lifted up over the murmurs of explosive nappies and snoring husbands enough for me to interrupt them to check the title. That doesn't happen often.

Beck - 'Dreams'



He just keeps hitting the retro spot doesn't he! It could've come straight from Midnight Vultures with its quirky - just enough -cheesiness. I don't even mind that the backing vocals sound like a New Kids On The Block song. Genius.



Enjoyed my choices? Hear the rest of my Best of 2015 on my Spotify playlist below!


Related Posts

Shell Hunter's - Best 5 of 2015
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
sfw
11 January 2016 at 10:35

All good here! Your musical tastes are improving!

Reply
avatar
14 January 2016 at 21:27

Jamie XX - An excellent song, between you and Flycasual you've said it all
Songs Of Boda - One word describes this track... Bloody awesome
Paper Kites - Everything you and SFW said I agree with, 80's and great... I can't wait to see the film it's from
Widowspeak - Hauntingly brilliant, as Jim Carrey said in 'Dumb and Dumber' I lark it alot
Beck - After Alan, the absolute best Hansen on the planet... Is it possible for him to be anything other than brilliant?? Good choice, you got the right stuff here Shellhunter

Reply
avatar
21 January 2016 at 14:21

Great Choices.
Jamie XX & Widowspeak are both magnificent tracks and you know how I feel about them. For the other three:-
Beck, although I'm huge fan and I love the guy but I didn't think 'Dreams' was a strong single.
Songs of Boda is another great find and like you say a grower as it only really got to me after hearing it on your Best Of.
Paper Kites, as you say, top video & top track and my pick of the 3. Dancing, SEE!

Reply
avatar
21 January 2016 at 14:24

Just saw what I wrote when SFW posted it as a TOTW last July.

"Sfw, Another top track. I can just see this being played in a movie where a jilted Emilio Estevez is driving angry at night!"

Reply
avatar
23 January 2016 at 13:42

Jamie XX - Brilliant and so MF.
Songs of Boda - this good one to hear again...great description.
The Paer Kites - Dance or Go, I stayed until the end, Utterly brilliant.
Widowspeak - think would have been in all our top 20s. Sounds a bit like Hope S.
Beck - this spot on too
Great selection, well it is top 5

Reply