Sunday 17 July 2011

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 17/07/11

These are our tracks of the week. Do you have any? Let us know!




Old Pa's Corner:-
Jamie XX - 'Far Nearer' (2011)



I just love the sound of the steel drums on this track. Close your eyes and with a little imagination, you are on a sunny beach in the Caribbean, a 'cuba libre' in hand, a lithe, tanned girl by your side - Yes it is only a dream! Then the bass etc. comes in....this should be someone else enjoying this, but it is me enjoying this....I love this!.

I first heard about the 'XX' from 'Ma Boy' and was pretty impressed. I was even more impressed when the 'said' Jamie' had recorded with the late Gil Scott Heron. Listen all the way thru' here its a real gem.

Flycasual:-
Ghostpoet - 'Survive it' (2011)



'I just wanna live life and survive it'

Great, bleak, minimalist Hip Hop for the more mature discerning B-boy. 'Survive it' is taken from UK rapper Obara Ejimiwe, aka Ghostpoet's debut album 'Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam'. I can't help but feel there's an element of Buffalo Springfield in there with the background sample but maybe it's just me.

I guess the older you get your priorities change and it's less about drinking Cristal in clubs (for me that kind of lifestyle was getting tedious anyway) and more about walking around town with a cup of tea, in the dark just trying to get by (the video will explain).

Ghostpoet's style and delivery is not dissimilar to Roots Manuva, DELS or even, dare I say, Faithless' Maxi Jazz. Not your typical run of the mill MC, it's Hip Hop with the Blues and well worth investigating.


SFW:-Seasick Steve - Treasures (2011)


I first heard of Seasick Steve after his performance on Jools Hollands Hootenanny in 2007, but I thought he was bit of a gimmick (I was probably drunk!). I later picked up his album and quickly realised that he is the real deal.  This song features on his latest album 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks' and the slower tracks sound like Rick Rubin produced Johnny Cash - which is fine by me!! 

Check out more Track of the weeks!

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 17/07/11
4/ 5
Oleh

9 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
17 July 2011 at 09:59

All good choices, lads. I particularly like the Ghostpoet track. Perhaps it#s something to do with middle-age but I know what he's saying. Thanks for introducing me to him - I shall be seeking him out. Must listen to Jamie XX's Gil remix too...the original album is fab.

Reply
avatar
17 July 2011 at 10:08

'More to this picture than it shows' think that was the line and I guess it's right....I also thought Seasick was a gimick and kept well clear...but a litle Treasure here.

Reply
avatar
17 July 2011 at 13:16

Thanks, Singing Bear It's good downbeat stuff and I just love the sentiment. I'm not really that miserable but I love the dressing gown and cup of tea combo, it's a good look.

Old Pa, I assume you mean the Jamie XX pic? Shouldn't judge a book etc etc.

Reply
avatar
17 July 2011 at 13:30

No it is line in the seasick song Treaures, i was refering to seasick himself

Reply
avatar
17 July 2011 at 20:11

The XX has been my favorite band since the minute they came out and I love this song by Jamie XX - its on my repeat. He's crazy talented! Sorry, I just saw that song and felt compelled to post, I'm off to listen to the rest of your tracks! x
The Internet Garbaget

Reply
avatar
17 July 2011 at 21:27

I second the love of steel drums as backing from Old Pa, one of the many reasons I love Hot Chip too! Interesting selection of tracks, its nice to have 3 so different! Its a one stop shop to fulfill the varying moods of my week! My Track of The Week is "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster The People. I daresay its getting a lot of airplay but I can't stop humming it all day.

Reply
avatar
18 July 2011 at 00:24

Hi Internetgarbage. The XX's album was my favourite album for awhile and was on heavy rotation. Jamie XX is hugely talented. If you haven't checked out the Gil Scott Heron remix album, then do you must.

Reply
avatar
18 July 2011 at 10:26

Ghostpoet..pretty good one and yes there definately is a hint of Buffalo Springfield in there

Reply
avatar
4 August 2011 at 00:24

Sfw, I've been listening to this track as it pops up on my playlist thanks to you. I still don't know what to make of him but this track is dope!

Reply