Monday 1 August 2011

HIP HOP CLASSICS - The Pharcyde - 'Passing Me By'



The Pharcyde - 'Passing Me By' (1993)

The 'Are you Experienced?' sampling, 'Passing Me By', introduced me to one of my favourite Hip Hop albums of all time. It was about four years after De La Soul's '3 Feet High and Rising' and the optimism of the 'Daisy Age' had all but faded but The Pharcyde re-captured that vibe effortlessly with their album 'Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde'. The fact that 'Passing Me By' is about schoolboy crushes which all end in tears shows one of the many parallels to De La Soul. It's a combination of light hearted content, laid back and Jazzy grooves, and often self-depreciating humour - four talented Californian MC's just fooling around and having a good time. They laid the foundation for other similar acts such as Jurassic 5 and the People Under the Stairs.


It was probably the first alternative Hip Hop album because it actually gave you an alternative from the 'Gangsta Rap' which was dominating the genre at the time. Don't get me wrong I loved all aspects of Hip Hop and there were classic albums from other West Coast heavyweights like Dr Dre and Ice Cube but it was all hard to relate too. Poking fun at each others mum's or trying to get over a lost love were alot easier to relate to than a muthafuckin drive-by.

I read recently that Kanye West rated this album as one of his best of all time and I'm glad he agrees with me.

The Pharcyde - 'Passing Me By'

To da beat y'all...more classics

Related Posts

HIP HOP CLASSICS - The Pharcyde - 'Passing Me By'
4/ 5
Oleh

6 comments

comments
avatar
1 August 2011 at 11:49

I absolutely love this song and The Pharcyde. I remember really getting into them after their single "Run" which had the B-side "Drop". That video made me laugh too. Saw them at Reading Festival and they didn't disappoint. My kind of Hip Hop fo' sho!

Reply
avatar
1 August 2011 at 11:56

This is my type of H.H. I needed the melody...Tribe called Quest, Jungle Brothers, Arrested Development etc. Great sampling here, love this...great mutha fuckin song

Reply
avatar
1 August 2011 at 20:56

Great song, I like it a lot, but where's the Gary Larson props ?

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
1 August 2011 at 21:44

Nice one. Cool groove.

Reply
avatar
4 August 2011 at 09:52

I like this voice :-))

Reply
avatar
4 August 2011 at 10:46

Hi Zarko, I like the name! Yeah they all had unique voices which made them stand out from the crowd. Hey I couldn't make comments on your site...I love Booka Shade.

Reply