Thursday 18 August 2011

Lemon Jelly - 'Soft'

Recollection Collection......musical memories recalled with affection!


Lemon Jelly - 'Soft' (2003)

We all know when it comes to finding love, cupid's a crack shot with his arrow but when things turn sour and cupid goes rogue, his aim doesn't waver and it feels like you've been harpooned. Despite the power ballad cheese fest and damage to your street cred, you'd be hard pushed not to feel the anguish in Chicago's 'If You Leave Me Now'. It's a Heart FM favourite (Jamie Theakston, you're a knob) but it's a great song and Lemon Jelly's blend of chilled electronica puts the melody to good use on their fabulous track 'Soft'. It's a clever use of a sample as it just builds and builds, you hear the oohs, the strings, it teases you until it gives in and the chorus finally plays. Listening to Chicago never felt more cool.

Hide! It's Jamie Theakston and he looks very angry!

If it wasn't for Peter Cetera, however, my wife and I may not be together now. She's a fan of the power ballad and 'The Karate Kid' (I know, I know but in relationships we all have to make sacrifices) so I used lyrics from his song, 'The Glory of Love', for our first Valentines in a card and single red rose combo. Boom! Deal closed and we're still together after 11 years, never underestimate the power of soft rock!

Listen to the full track below the video is an abridged version and doesn't do it justice.
Lemon Jelly - 'Soft'

Thursday I'm in Love....a chance for me to share some of my favourite tracks.
More power minus the ballads? Click here for more Recollection Collection.

Related Posts

Lemon Jelly - 'Soft'
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
18 August 2011 at 09:31

Love this song and the way the chorus creeps in. It's a bloody shame Lemon Jelly also did that "nice weather for ducks" track which annoyed the hell out of me!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
18 August 2011 at 09:41

Lemon Jelly - love them. It's not easy to make an 80's power ballad sound good.

Reply
avatar
18 August 2011 at 09:59

Ooh oh no, baby please don't go...hey! thats Chicaco...the first time I heard this I had had a few and it just crept up on me from behind, caught me of guard, nice story by the way

Reply
avatar
Jon
18 August 2011 at 19:45

Saw them at The Junction in Cambridge a few years back and heard this for the first time then. Was crying laughing when I realised what the sample was. Total genius!

Reply