Saturday 24 September 2011

GUEST SPOT # 15 - The Verve - 'The Drugs Don't Work'


He likes to keep his shoes polished and he comes out with the best "Northern Slang" I've ever heard, this week's Guest Spot is from Russ!


The Verve - "The Drugs Don't Work" (1997)

I first heard this song believe it or not whilst serving in the Falkland Islands in 1997. Thousands of miles away from my family, but with loads of friends around. There's quiet irony in that because although I was surrounded by friends it didn't quite cut it for me. Maybe because the only time I got to hear it, was in a testosterone filled NAAFI with hundreds of blokes all singing it at the top of their voices. Oh! Did I mention they were drunk mostly too?

The times I needed to hear it were the quiet times I had in my room, reflecting and wondering what my family were doing at the time and thinking "I'll see them all again soon." Yeah the song can be depressing if you want to look at it from a depressing angle. I don't. It's a beautiful song and I'll treasure the memories it invokes in me, even of the hundreds of drunk squaddies (and RAF) all trying to out sing each other!



Undoubtedly, it's a great song which has probably featured in many a funeral or sad occasion. Look beyond the words (apart from Drugs Don't Work...cos lets face it they don't!) and appreciate a truly fantastic Urban Hymn.

OK, so the drugs don't work, but music is your medicine! Click for more Guest Spots!

Related Posts

GUEST SPOT # 15 - The Verve - 'The Drugs Don't Work'
4/ 5
Oleh

6 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
24 September 2011 at 09:21

I suppose some drugs DO work (but sadly not for Richard Ashcroft's father). It's a great song. I first heard it whilst hanging around in the Cardiff branch of the Virgin Megastore (R.I.P....or good riddance?). Not exactly the Falklands, I know. It hit me straight away.

Reply
avatar
24 September 2011 at 10:04

Nice story Russ,,,,last night the bottle let me down

Reply
avatar
sfw
24 September 2011 at 11:21

Fantastic song, great story...Hundreds of squaddies singing? Bet it was like the X-Factor.

Reply
avatar
24 September 2011 at 21:02

Love the story Russ! I'll admit this song is not a favourite but I understand the sentiment all the same.

Reply
avatar
Rez
24 September 2011 at 21:11

Great song. Another classic from uni days. Although a slightly depressing tone, it too brings back more, like memories of students standing on tables in the flea and firkin on Oxford Road Manchester, singing badly but in great spirits.
Of course many who liked this may remember the Vindaloo video By Keith Allen!! Funny rip off.

Reply
avatar
24 September 2011 at 23:25

I have to agree with you Russ, despite the depressive connotations I find it incredibly uplifting with the hope of seeing loved ones again. Poor cat in a bag though! Good story aswell, can just see it being remote and taking solace in this song.

Reply