Saturday 3 September 2011

Filthy Dukes - 'Messages'

Saturday Night Jukebox.......
Everyone Has A Guilty Pleasure


Next catalogue's new look


Filthy Dukes - "Messages" (2009)

This one is for all you Flight Dispatchers out there! You know how it is, you're working the last flight of the evening, its pushed back from the gate and on it's merry way to the runway. You run back to the office and begin the race to complete all your load messages in time for it to be airborne so you can hit the road(or the pub depending if it's still open)! Not only was it my turn to do the latest departure but it was also my last shift. I had that Friday feeling despite the fact it was a Monday(shift work really does destroy the romance of living for "the weekend"). I cranked up the radio and indulged in MY choice of station for a change! While typing away, my ears pricked up to a funky 80's style synth beat and I thought I heard the chorus boom out "sending messages!" Hang on, this song is about me! I'm sending messages right now! Unluckily though, the DJ failed to mention straight away who was singing so I spent the next few weeks trying to track it down by various Google and iTunes searches. It always makes it that bit more satisfying when you eventually find it and hear it in full for the first time. I then realised the lyrics were "you send me messages". Oh well, it still hit the spot!


For those of you who think the Filthy Dukes might float your 80's electro pop boat, I recommend another song from their album Nonsense In The Dark called "This Rhythm". I've heard they also have a resident DJ set in the club Fabric in London, and they do a number of remixes of bands such as White Lies and The Rakes!

You can't beat a bit of sausage'

Related Posts

Filthy Dukes - 'Messages'
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
sfw
4 September 2011 at 10:53

Hadn't heard this before... I like, yes, I like! - Sorry I'm hungover

Reply
avatar
4 September 2011 at 18:09

Hungover eh? I would call that a Sunday morning feeling!

Reply
avatar
Jon
4 September 2011 at 20:08

Loved the Tupac Robot Club Rock single when it came out. Hadn't heard this track though. Love it!

Reply
avatar
5 September 2011 at 10:00

Nice little bit of the 80's sound, yazoo-ish early Depeche mmmuh!

Reply
avatar
5 September 2011 at 13:23

Good dispatch anecdote SH, worst thing to do when you're desperate to get home. I didn't like this song as much as some of the others on the 'Nonsense in the Dark' album, My Rhythm is far superior in my opinion. Shades of Bryan Ferry.

Reply