Saturday 5 November 2011

GUEST SPOT # 23 - Tom Petty - Free Fallin'

Got a song you want to tell us about? We'd love to hear about it, why you like it, what it reminds you of! Email us to feature on our weekly Guest Spot!



Tom Petty - Free Fallin' (1989)

This week's guest spot comes from a good pal and fellow plane lover who goes by the alias "whattalkabout"(don't ask). She likes her exotic fruit and knows how to ignore moody french pilots! I'm sure there is a good few of us that can relate to her post!

My time spent at sixth form gave me the highest and lowest of times. Of the two years I spent there, one of the happiest of my life thus far, and the other was the toughest.

We all yearned freedom and to be university students, to experience the "real" world. What originally attracted me to this high flying grammar school had lost it's shine. I was 18, and along with the other 125 boys-but-not-quite-men and 25 girls in my year (It was an all boys school but became mixed at sixth form) were still wearing school uniform, answering "yes miss" to the register every morning and afternoon, and carrying hymn books in our blazer pockets.



As exam season drew closer, it signalled the beginning of the end. A bitterness hard to describe because I had the best and worst of times at that school. There would be no more assemblies every morning, no sound of 800 boys greet our headmaster "Good Morning Dr Walker" echo through the school hall, no more saying of the Lord's Prayer, no more fighting for corridor space with the younger years.


As I drove to school (I drove to school! How grown up was I?! Parking in my own playground!!) to pick up my exam results and say goodbye to the "well legendary" institution that was King Edward VI Grammar; I felt blank. I went in quietly, picked up my envelope and walked out. I didn't hang around to chat. I turned the ignition on, took one last look at the "Church Doors" where we used to congregate to catch coaches for school trips, and those awful PE lessons in the fields. I drove off, not looking back because I knew I'd miss it terribly.

I started the 23 mile drive home. I got stuck in a traffic jam. This song started playing on the radio. It was ironic. It felt as if this small town didn't want me to leave just yet, but I was free. Maybe I should have turned back, but what for? I still look back on it with the fondest of memories and will never forget my time there.



Go ahead, make my day
More Guest Spots.....?

Related Posts

GUEST SPOT # 23 - Tom Petty - Free Fallin'
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
5 November 2011 at 13:13

Great track, whattalkabout (can I ask?) from a great album! School days nicely described too, I think I had a bit of a flashback to horrid morning assemblies with hymns on a Friday....joy! I think we can all identify a 'Free Falling' moment in our lives.

Reply
avatar
5 November 2011 at 13:49

This is a fab track from a brilliant album - always takes me back to my 6th form days too. Such a good choice!

Reply
avatar
6 November 2011 at 20:19

Great post - You could have been describing my school here...I know what you mean about the best and worst of times. I love this song and as I am prone to singing loudly in the car, this is definitely in my repertoire a la Jerry Maguire (yes, someone had to mention it!)

Reply
avatar
7 November 2011 at 16:29

I agree whattalkabout, its a tough time but it moulds you into who you become. Failures and successes alike, at least we get to move on and look back later. Top tune, a forever favourite for me!

Reply
avatar
7 November 2011 at 17:43

Great story, loved it....I was into early TP and thought he had lost his way a bit, but this album was a brilliant comeback and free fallin one of the outstanding tracks

Reply