Thursday 10 November 2011

THURSDAY I'M IN LOVE! - Beck - 'Where it's at'

Hell Yes! It's Thursday I'm in Love...a chance to share some of my favourite songs.


Beck - 'Where it's at' (1996)

Ever since the conception of this blog, I have spent many a sleepless night painstakingly deliberating which Beck track I should post. Multi talented, humorous and with an eclectic style transcending all genres, he's hands down my favourite artist. Probably why it has been a 'Sophie's Choice' of sorts as there are so many good songs to choose from. So I went back to the beginning and picked the track that really got me into him in a big way, the beat driven, cool organ hook, ode to Hip Hop from the album Odelay, 'Where it's at'.


The white Prince?
Our relationship, however wasn't all plain sailing as when I first saw him perform 'Loser' on Top of the Pops with his band of geriatrics, I thought it was nothing more than a gimmicky act and his album 'mellow gold' a bit too bizarre. I even remember listening to Odelay on the bus home from my monthly splurge at Our Price, thinking it was crap and wanting to return it. Thankfully it was in the days when you actually listened to an album the whole way through, warts and all and my persistence paid off as Odelay is a modern classic.

The video is pretty good too. Now I'm not remotely interested in Line Dancing but this song could quite possibly sway me. Draw the curtains, send the wife out and get your Stetson, chaps and boots on and hoe down!

Don't be a Jack Ass, check out more of my favourite tracks on Thursday I'm in Love.

Related Posts

THURSDAY I'M IN LOVE! - Beck - 'Where it's at'
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
10 November 2011 at 08:22

Classic track...Stetson, chaps and boots, cool organ...the mind boggles

Reply
avatar
sfw
10 November 2011 at 09:30

He's a blinking genius! Puts the 'Cool' in being 'un-Cool'

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
10 November 2011 at 12:58

Brilliant. I love 'Mellow Gold ' and 'Odelay' and 'Mutations' is pretty hot too. Maybe he hasn't thrilled me too much in recent years but have to take my hat off to his talent. Do you think sometimes he tries too hard to be too clever for his own good? Oh, it's probably just me.

Reply
avatar
12 November 2011 at 21:03

Whenever I was asked what album would be my desert island disc, I always said anything by Beck. Mr Hanson is so talented and can turn his hand to any genre or style, you would never be bored! This is a top choice and funny vid. Geek chic does it again!

Reply