Thursday 1 December 2011

THURSDAY I'M IN LOVE! - Handsome Boy Modelling School - 'The Truth'

Thursday I'm in love...a chance for me to share some of my favourite tunes, nice!



Handsome boy - "The Truth" (Featuring J-Live & Róisín Murphy) (1999)

I hadn't heard this song in a long while and what a treat it was, a real chicken skin moment, slick and sexy with a sobering sentiment, 'The Truth' is a well crafted song. It evokes that classic Blues/Jazz era sound, Róisín's smooth sultry vocals culminating with J-Live's intelligent rhyming, the perfect foil, bringing in a modern edge. All blended in with Jazz pianist, Galt MacDermot's 'Coffee Cold' sample, an immaculate piano and drum loop used to good effect.

"....handsome...."

It's taken from The Handsome Boy Modelling School's album 'So...How's Your Girl?' a project by producers Dan the Automator (Gorillaz) and Prince Paul (De La Soul) assembling an all star cast.

I wish I could say it reminds me of time spent in the small confines of a smokey jazz club in a back street somewhere in London but unfortunately the reality is that this song will remind me of a pub quiz in the less glamourous surroundings of Slough. It was a great pub though, good food, good beer and the music was always eclectic creating a good vibe. This song came on after an Ella Fitzgerald number and I thought they went seamlessly well together despite the obvious age gap. We won by the way!

I'm a big fan of Róisín Murphy, I love her sense of style and her quirky take on dance music, from her time with Moloko to her solo career. But she seems to be talented MC too, as the video below shows, taking over from J-Live after he was stuck in the toilets at one of her gigs. Word! Oh and stand up light shade courtesy of IKEA.



"How long has he been in there!!?"


Revisit some more Thursday I'm In Love here

Related Posts

THURSDAY I'M IN LOVE! - Handsome Boy Modelling School - 'The Truth'
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
1 December 2011 at 07:56

Really great track. Beautiful mix of blues and beats. Nice vocal.

Reply
avatar
sfw
1 December 2011 at 09:05

What a fantastic track - Roisin is such an amazing singer. What is she up to now?

Reply
avatar
2 December 2011 at 18:09

Brilliant track have not heard it before...great feel...it did it for me the whole thing....send it!

Reply
avatar
3 December 2011 at 11:39

Roisin is definitely hot stuff. Nice sexy tune and she can MC with the best of them. What was J-Live thinking? She upstaged his ass!

Reply
avatar
4 December 2011 at 06:44

Hey, when u gotta go u gotta go. Hmmm not really, she did the MCing at her solo concerts.

Reply