Wednesday 11 January 2012

WEDNESDAY CLUB - Kris Kristofferson - To Beat the Devil

MIDWEEK CRISIS? These demons are surfacing again, come to WEDNESDAY CLUB, we've got Kris Kristofferson and he will at least get you through the night.


KRIS KRISTOFFERSON - To Beat the Devil (1970)

I was sharing a flat with 5 Stewardesses and a Customs officer in 71' when one day a boyfriend (John) of one of the girls (Jane) came in with 2 new albums, one was the the Doors 'LA Woman' and the other was KK's first album, 'Me and Bobby McGee'. Both albums were sensational but for some reason out of the goldmine of tracks this one hit me first, I could not stop playing it.

In my mind KK was the best thing to hit country since Hank himself, he kicked Country in the ass and gave it a direction away from the poor stay at home cowgirl badly done by her hard drinking waster good ol' boy excuse for a husband (sound familiar girls).

What songs were on that album 'Me and Bobby McGee', 'Help Me Make it Through the Night', 'Sunday Morning Coming Down' to name just a few. I that day I immediately hit Hounslow High Street, Number 82 bus, straight to Cloud 7 which later became Our Price Records and I bought KKs 2 albums also the Door's L.A Woman. I dropped in to the Off Licence on the way back and then had an almighty session.

And I had all these lovely Stewardesses to 'Help me make it through the Night'!

In yer dreams mate! they all thought I was too weird!
If it sounds country man
Check out KK he is a very interesting character, apparently he was a janitor in Nashville when Dylan was recording the iconic 'Blonde on Blonde', he was a Helicopter Pilot and of course an Actor. But in my book he wrote some of the best country songs ever.

Why was I not born with a voice like that?

For more WEDNESDAY CLUB Cow pokin'

Related Posts

WEDNESDAY CLUB - Kris Kristofferson - To Beat the Devil
4/ 5
Oleh

6 comments

comments
avatar
11 January 2012 at 08:48

Great story! Love this song but I'm not sure if I'm too familiar with KK's other stuff? The girls were right though...you are weird

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
11 January 2012 at 09:01

What a voice! One of the greats. Country definitely needed a kick up the arse and he gave it a great big boot.

Reply
avatar
sfw
12 January 2012 at 10:38

Amazing voice - he should/could/probably-has release audio books.

Reply
avatar
12 January 2012 at 10:40

I'm not saying I beat the devil but I drank his beer for nothin!

Reply
avatar
12 January 2012 at 13:10

Anything to declare ladies? I bet that joke was used, or maybe not. Proper country, good stuff and yes ^^ (above) that is a line!

Reply
avatar
Jon
12 January 2012 at 21:06

What a voice! Have listened to a few KK tracks since you suggested him after I posted Steve Earle, but didn't come across this gem of a track. Great story too.

Reply