Saturday 1 September 2012

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! DNA ft. Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner

It's Saturday Night Jukebox, time to get some dinner!



Suzanne Vega - 'Tom's Diner DNA remix' (1990)

I remember when Old Pa said to me one of his proudest moments was when we were in the tape shop in Saudi when a song started playing and I tugged at his trouser leg, looked up at him and said "This is Neil Young isn't it?" Several blokes looked over in shock to see an 8 year old girl speaking to her daddy. I was often allowed to pick a tape of my very own to keep me out of mischief and it could have been this occasion that I chose Tom's Album after loving DNA's mix of Suzanne Vega's acapella track Tom's Diner.

Where's that bloody burger!!

I remember I used to call it Tom's dinner back then too as I'd never heard of a diner before. There were some brilliant versions of the song namely my favourites which were 'Daddy's Little Girl' (about accidental pregnancy by Nikki D), 'Dep de do dep' (a German version by Peter Brehens) and the one off collaboration of Rem and Billy Bragg with Bingo Hand Job! I listened to it so frequently I knew all the words all by heart but when I moved back to the UK, the tape was packed away and forgotten. It wasn't until discussions recently that I discovered my husband had the same tape. I thought it was another of those knock offs made up in Saudi, I never realised it was an actual official release overseen by Suzanne herself!


How many of you had this album and which was your favourite? Or do you know another great or quirky cover version??

Related Posts

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! DNA ft. Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
2 September 2012 at 09:47

Another proud moment was the day after Brian Wilson concert we attended with some of my work mates..they said 'your daughter is ok...she buys her round' ....I glowed with pride!....my parenting skills had kicked in.

Reply
avatar
4 September 2012 at 14:39

Classic.. Reminds me of a geography field trip that summer. One guy would go crazy for the 'bells at the cathedral bit' don't know why. 'Wicked man u can hear the bells'..weird what u remember.

Reply
avatar
4 September 2012 at 16:23

Not wanting to sound picky, but I didn't have the tape. I spent my hard-earned cash on a CD of the album. My favourite track was the 'I Dream Of Jeannie' remix !! A classic of sorts in it's day

Reply