Thursday 28 February 2013

CLASSIC MOVIE SCENE #8 - Swingers - Go Daddy-O - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy




'Go Daddy-O' - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Swingers (1996)

Next week I'm off to London to watch 'Midnight Tango' with Strictly Come Dancing favourites Flavia and Vincent, I know, I know but it's a Christmas present for my wife who loves dance and the Argentinian tango in particular. I did toy with the idea of buying one ticket and meeting her in the pub later but as it happens I like it because she likes it.

When we were first stepping out, my wife did tell me once that dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire. I found this a sobering statement at the time, realising that when she asked me to dance at friend's weddings she clearly didn't mean drunken skanking to Bob Marley. Which is why I love this scene from one of my favourite ever movies, Swingers. The ability to handle yourself appropriately on the dancefloor with a few moves will go a long way in 'clinching the deal' with your girl. But despite all this I am certain I won my wife's heart with my energetic 'Running Man' (it's our weapon of choice for the dancefloor here at TuneDr), the birds love it.

I'm also very good at the 'Harlem Shake'

Our protagonist, Mikey had been unceremoniously dumped by his girlfriend and spends the duration of the movie feeling sorry for himself despite the best efforts of his friends to snap him out of it. Here he finally decides that he is actually 'money' and plucks up the courage to talk to a girl who eventually asks him to dance. You think "oh god he's gonna mess this up" but they end up doing a great Jive and he finally starts living again.

Go Daddy-O is performed by the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy an American Swing revival band, check out their website here....

Have a look at some more 'money' scenes.....

Related Posts

CLASSIC MOVIE SCENE #8 - Swingers - Go Daddy-O - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
28 February 2013 at 08:19

Being cursed with an inappropriate number of left feet has denied me a lifetime of rug-cutting. I had the odd drunken flail when I was younger, but nothing that you could really call 'dancing', so Mrs flycasual's vertical/horizontal theory goes a long way to explaining the un-mis-spent nature of my youth in that regard.

Haven't seen Swingers, but enjoyed the tune.

Reply
avatar
1 March 2013 at 11:24

I like the vertical/horizontal theory, I think I was more of the classic cave man club theory. never seen Swingers,one to watch maybe.
Have to say what you are doing is a labour of love. Hope the theory works out for the good. I'll meet you in the pub.

Reply