Thursday 21 February 2013

Cypress Hill - 'Cock the Hammer'

Recollection Collection......musical memories recalled with affection!



Cypress Hill - 'Cock The Hammer' (1993)

I managed to catch the tail end of Jurassic Park the other day, a film I loved and one which I haven't seen in ages. I fondly remember getting caught up in dino fever at the time, Laura Dern's shorts making we want to study paleontology. All those dinosaurs running amok reminds me, bizarrely, of Cypress Hill's 'Cock the Hammer'. Not only was the album 'Black Sunday' out at the same time but the track is dark, brooding and menacing. The screeching sample making me think I was being hunted by a pack of Velociraptors as opposed to some Cholos in South Central LA.

Doyouthinkhesaurus.....man, we been smoking too much!
My wife woke me from my reverie to tell me that, after the Blackpool premiere in ’93, she was interviewed by the local Evening Gazette and asked what she thought of the film. Instead of praising the ground-breaking special effects, bringing the dinosaurs to life or how cool the scene is where the guy on the toilet gets munched by T-Rex, she replies,

"it was great but I wasn't sure the PG rating was right as it was very scary."

She was 20 at the time - what a schmuck! (her word not mine but yeah, what a schmuck!).

However I also have a confession to make. Many moons ago, Old Pa dragged me along to see Bob Dylan at Wembley Arena. Despite 'growing up' with Bob, I still knew very little. So when Q magazine approached me (Q! My big moment), post- concert, to ask me what I thought, I froze! Knowing I may feature as part of their regular fan concert review, I desperately tried thinking of something smart to say but all I could muster was,

"it was good but he could have played some of his older stuff. His hat was cool though."

The interviewer just said his thank yous and left. When Old Pa returned from the toilet he was beaming and exclaimed,

"that was an amazing gig he played a lot of his older and more obscure stuff which he doesn't usually play!"

What a schmuck!

gutted!

Have you ever been a schmuck and said something you knew was crap after being interviewed? It's ok, go ahead we're all on the truth tree, you can tell us.

See what they're up to, check Cypress Hill's official website...

Have a listen to some of my favourite tracks on my Spotify playlist below or click here to read some more posts.


Related Posts

Cypress Hill - 'Cock the Hammer'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
21 February 2013 at 12:41

Rember the concert well we almost missed the beginning....story reminds me of a girl I worked with....at the hight of Dino fever with large bill board posters everywhere...when asked have you seen Jurassic Park yet she asked where is was? is it near here? When she asked her partner later he also did not have a clue about it. Some people live next to us in a parallel planet. Scary.

Reply
avatar
sfw
26 February 2013 at 11:54

Great post for a schmuck -

The conversation (or lack of) when we met Josh Rouse - schmucks!

Reply