Saturday 1 June 2013

FRONT ROW CENTRE - Black Books - 'The Big Idea'

You've listened to the songs...you loved the album...now you absolutely have to see them live... FRONT ROW CENTRE

Black Books - 'The Big Idea' (2013)

The Barfly, Camden on May 22nd, 2013

 For music lovers out there, the ultimate thing to do is to see your favourite artist or group live on stage. Now, I go to a lot of concerts and for me the whole evening is an experience. Living just outside of London means it's a dreaded disgracefully long trek but it is such an amazing place, not only for music but for a night out so its worth it. Sprinkled with individual bars and restaurants hidden in every corner, it makes for a far more memorable experience! To save you hassling around, see my Gig Watch tips below! This is not a normal gig review, this is my experience.

London Scouser got into Black Books in a big way after he got a free track (White Noise) from Google Play. I instantly liked their Pink Floyd-esque psych rock sound. Just by chance he saw they were playing a headline gig at tiny venue the Barfly in Camden so made sure we got tickets. I managed to get the following day off and we even wangled my mother in law to dog sit! Woohoo, night out in London with hotel room booked so no need to leave the gig early to catch our 3 trains home!


As I may have mentioned before, there is nothing better than hanging around in Camden with so much individuality on show. We headed straight for a couple of predinner drinks at Camden dock Lloyds Bar. If you don't mind where you eat, check out the VoucherCloud App. It'll give you codes to get money off meals for places you may not otherwise have chosen. We saw a great one for 50% off your final food bill at Shaka Zulu the South African underground restaurant in Camden. Be brave with your food choices, it's worth it!


Having been to the Barfly before, I knew it was a small venue and being a bit braver these days, I insisted on a front row spot. The support acts were...interesting. I can't remember the name but they were a Canadian headbanger group. Lots of groupies fawning all over their idols taking photos. It was most amusing.


Black Books, a five piece from Austin, Texas, came on stage quietly attaching multicolour flowers to the mikes and instruments, a cute touch I thought. LS and I saw their setlist handwritten on a paper plate(which LS now has) so knew what to expect. Each track was pure dreamy music bliss. The band held my attention the whole time especially lead singer Ross Gilfillan who sang every word with real feeling. They played my favourite tracks from newly released self titled album Black Books. Highlights being My Favourite Place, Take Take Take and of course new single The Big Idea (featured above). Standing at the front I allowed myself to be swallowed up by the wall of ambient sound. Its the only way to see a gig. After it was over, LS said saw the lead singer Ross standing and chatting with some people. I get far too star struck and had a few drinks so I decided not to take the risk of making a fool of myself. LS asked him about how it was to be the support act for Flaming Lips at the Roundhouse and that we were of course big fans having featured them on the blog. I hope these guys make it big, they have something special. I shall be wearing my Black Books T-shirt with pride.

Gig Watch (everything you need to know!)
Recommended Restaurant: Shaka Zulu

All photos taken by and copyright of K.Bazeley

Related Posts

FRONT ROW CENTRE - Black Books - 'The Big Idea'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
1 June 2013 at 18:24

FRC its the way to find out about a venue ...love it. Keep hold of that plate...maybe in 50 yrs time it will be worth a billion pounds....did you get them to sign it?
Must listen to the whole album as their stuff is heavy griower!

Reply
avatar
4 June 2013 at 12:18

Gutted video and another good song, great write up too.

Reply