Monday 2 December 2013

GUEST SPOT #65 - John and Yoko / Plastic Ono Band - 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'

This weeks heartfelt Guest Spot has been submitted by Dave, a previous contributor, welcome back! It's our first ever Christmas song guest post and if you fancy sharing a favourite song, gig or musical memory, just click here. Its simples!


John and Yoko / Plastic Ono Band with the Harlem Community Choir - 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)' (1971)


Growing up in North Wales we could get the reception from Radio Merseyside. My parents always had it tuned in for its Beatles 1960s nostalgia, the soundtrack to their teenage years.

My parents had a massive headboard in their bedroom which had a radio and speakers built in. It felt comforting going in their room in the mornings hearing them sing to the familiar songs.

On Tuesday 9th December 1980 getting ready for junior school I walked in their bedroom. I didn't really hear what the DJ had said, but my parents looked upset and I clearly remember John Lennon's 'Imagine' coming on the radio. By the time 'Happy Xmas (War is Over)' had finished they were in tears.

John had been shot in America. 'But he'll be ok though' I said, 'just like JR'. JR Ewing had been shot earlier in the year and he was OK. My 8 year old mind not quite able to separate tv drama from reality. More tears, and I got upset too as my parents were upset.

My parents kept that headboard for years until it looked very retro and dated, through various house moves and changes of cities, no matter which house it was in, it reminded me of 'Imagine' and 'Happy Xmas' and tears.

In the winter of 2003 I took my mum to New York City. Outside the Dakota building I told her this story and standing near where John had been murdered we remembered all over the joy and tears his music had given us.



Related Posts

GUEST SPOT #65 - John and Yoko / Plastic Ono Band - 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
4 December 2013 at 11:36

Great Post Dave, I heard when I was a work, we had the radio on...there was stunned silence, goose bumps and chivers. It was as if someone close to you had died....I went home and had a Lennon session and got drunk!

Reply
avatar
4 December 2013 at 17:09

In a few short lines you've encapsulated, through a moving personal reminiscence, how music is a soundtrack to our lives, in good times and bad.
(I want one of those headboards with the stereo built in by the way!)

Reply