Wednesday 21 December 2016

Vera Lynn - White Cliffs of Dover/We'll Meet again

WEDNESDAY CLUB

JENNY BE GOOD
There'll be Blue Birds over the White Cliff of Dover

 
VERA LYNN - The White Cliffs of Dover

The idea has been done before, probably the best example is  'Boots of Spanish Leather'  by  Dylan and if you have not heard that one check it out right now. Here is my attempt at letter writing about two lovers separated by war. Hence the two brilliant war songs sung by the the  Forces Sweetheart during the War the fabulous  Vera Lynn . Both songs bring a tear to your eye.  'Just you wait and see'.  

JENNY BE GOOD

My Darling Jenny

I hope this finds you well
and it's not too hard for you

the news is good
that's filtered down
Berlin is close
and soon will fall

if that is true
it can only mean
war will soon be over
can we dare to dream
after all this time
I'll be coming home to you

When it's time
to take my rest
I lay down
where ever I can

It is not as bad
as it may seem
when I'm awake
I think of you
and if by chance
my sleep does come
you are the leading lady
In all my dreams

I would trade my lonely heart
to spend the longest night with you
I would hold you close
the whole night through
and I will whisper
that I love you

There is one more thing
I don't want to say
but it's weight I carry you see

My darling Jenny please be good
please be good for me


My Dearest Jimmy

I hope this finds you well
and it's not too bad for you
in the factory
the hours are long
I return alone
to my desolate room

let me say
you should not fear
put these thoughts away
I love you deeply
you are my man
and the only man for me

I lie awake
most every night
the early dawn
I always meet

tears taste sweet
my head it spins
with the thought
of you my love
and if by chance
my sleep does come
you will be the hero
in all my dreams

I would trade my painful heart
to spend the longest night with you
I will take your love
until you are spent
all my passion
it belongs to you

There is one last thing
I know I have to say
I carry this pain you see

My dearest Jimmy please be save
please come home to me

 
VERA LYNN - We'll Meet Again

Related Posts

Vera Lynn - White Cliffs of Dover/We'll Meet again
4/ 5
Oleh