Wednesday 25 May 2011

Ali Farka Toure & Ry Cooder - 'Lasidan'

World Music Corner




Lasidan - Ali Farka Toure & Ry Cooder

I probably first heard this track in 1994 through my dad and it was my first taste of African music of which I now dearly love. Apart from the Paul Simon albums 'Gracelands' and 'Rhythm of the Saints' and the North African influenced 'Continental Drift' track from the Rolling Stones album 'Steel Wheels', I wasn't really exposed to 'world' music but I liked it. This track changed everything, I was hooked by the hypnotic sounds of Ali Farka Toure's and Ry Cooder's guitar work and the accompanying rhythms, very chilled. Two Blues heavyweights from different continents coming together to compose the 'Talking Timbuktu' album, showing that despite their distance and contrasting styles they are invariably linked by the Blues.


Click here for more World Music Posts

Related Posts

Ali Farka Toure & Ry Cooder - 'Lasidan'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
sfw
25 May 2011 at 18:54 This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
sfw
25 May 2011 at 18:56

...linked by the blues. You need to watch the Martin Scorsese documentary "feels like home" - good stuff!

http://youtu.be/CgBcj4CJmOw

Reply