Tuesday 14 June 2011

CLASSIC MOVIE SCENE # 2 - Dazed and Confused - Aerosmith - 'Sweet Emotion'


Dazed and Confused (1993)...Opening Scene... 'Sweet Emotion'

.....alright, alright, alright...

Nothing like a bit of 'Cock Rock' to stir up those emotions and Aerosmith's aptly titled 'Sweet Emotion' does exactly that. Both song and movie transport me back to a time when I was struggling to settle in the UK after coming back from Saudi Arabia. School was a particular ball ache as I was being ostracised for being different, though I can't imagine it had anything to do with the fact that after 10 years I had picked up a 'North Atlantic drawl', acquired a golden tan and the myth that my dad was an oil baron that used to draw the attention of all the school girls! (nothing changes)




The classic track is taken from the brilliant intro to the equally classic film, 'Dazed and Confused'. The story tracks the day in the life of a group of teens on their last day of school and with it the expectation of a long hot summer, a stark contrast from living in a grey, damp Hounslow. However, I used to take great solace from this track from the moment of the opening bars, to the gravely tones of Steven Tyler's voice and Joe Perry's guitar lick. Combined with the atmosphere of the film, it  reminds me a bit of what life was like in Jeddah.

The film is a fantastic piece of escapism which the opening sequence evokes so well.

Click here for more Classic Movie Scene posts.

Related Posts

CLASSIC MOVIE SCENE # 2 - Dazed and Confused - Aerosmith - 'Sweet Emotion'
4/ 5
Oleh