Thursday 14 July 2011

DYLAN COVER # 5 - Jerry Garcia -'Positively 4th Street'



Jerry Garcia - 'Positively 4th Street'

Every Dylan fan loves P4th Street...well I know I do. It is Bob at his vitriol best. I read somewhere that the Johnny Rivers version is one of his favourite covers of his songs. The tempo is slowed down but it certainly does not do any harm to it. This is a fabulous, live, brooding, steaming, version by Jerry Garcia. I am sure it is inspired by Rivers and Bob himself has used a slowed down rendition many times on his live shows.

Dylan was on a roll and it was released just after 'Like a Rolling Stone'. It was the first single I ever bought, I didn't even have a record player at the time, I just had to have it.

It was also my 'little sister' Carol's favourite Dylan track (she had to like Dylan, she had no choice in the matter) and every time I hear it, I have 'visions of Carole' asleep with her head phones on and P4th Street on repeat.

Sadly Carole is no longer with us, so I dedicate this one to her.

Jerry Garcia - 'Positively 4th Street Live'
Johnny Rivers - 'Positively 4th Street'

Related Posts

DYLAN COVER # 5 - Jerry Garcia -'Positively 4th Street'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
19 July 2011 at 21:02

Great cover! One thing, though. This is the version from Jerry and Merl "Live at Keystone". The actual one from Garcia Plays Dylan is even better!!!!

Reply
avatar
20 July 2011 at 10:04

Thanks for that Jason....luckily I included Garcia Plays Dylan version....thanks again to the Keystone cops

Reply