Monday 12 September 2011

FROM THE FRONTLINE - Culture - 'Two Sevens Clash'


Culture - Two Sevens Clash' (1977)

This is another song about the fabled 'natural mystic', where according to a prediction by Marcus Garvey, in 1977 bad tings were meant to gwan. Impending apocalypse aside, Culture created an absolute Reggae classic in 'Two Sevens Clash'.

It wasn't just the two sevens that clashed!

I love roots reggae and this a big tune but I was blissfully unaware of the tracks true significance until recently, as for me this was just a perfect roots tune which my dad introduced me to. Anyway Marcus Garvey may have been half right as at 3 years old, 1977 didn't start all that well, I had major surgery on my neck which was none too pleasent but later my parents took me to see Star Wars at the cinema for the first time. Irie!

Culture - 'Two Sevens Clash'

More Reggae tune and ting? Click here!

Related Posts

FROM THE FRONTLINE - Culture - 'Two Sevens Clash'
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
sfw
12 September 2011 at 08:25

The weather in 'da West is not irie, but this has brought a bit of Jamaican sunshine on my windswept head! Never heard it before, but it's good stuff!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
12 September 2011 at 21:21

One of my all-time favourite reggae albums. Remember when it was all the rage and truly 'dread' back in '77? It deserved its reputation then and it still sounds great.

Reply
avatar
13 September 2011 at 11:20

Ta for this Fly, it will top off my holiday playlist nicely. It's proper put me in the mood for Shell Hunting!!

Reply