Sunday 2 October 2011

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 02/10/11

It's October and the summer's really arrived, here's our four pack of cool tunes to enjoy this week!


Flycasual:-
Fe La Soul by Amerigo Gazaway - 'Breakadawn' (2011)
Call off the search, I think I may have found my track of the year, it was free too! This is why we do it, scour the net, radio, magazines and albums to hunt for that gem and the thrill you get finding it. Like a musical Indiana Jones albeit minus the poison arrows and chasing natives. The brilliantly named, 8 track album, Fe La Soul sees Hip Hop producer Amerigo Gazaway, seamlessly blend the music of Nigerian Afrobeat legend Fela Kuti with the impeccable rhymes of De La Soul. This track is a reworking of one of my favourite De La classics, 'Breakadawn', a real mellow and warming mix, perfect for a scorching October day!? I must have listened to this probably about 5 times, windows down, on the way to the royal grounds of Virginia Waters to 'rip shit up' with my longboard, well more shit than rip. Download the free album here, at Gummy Soul, well worth your time.



Shell Hunter:-
The Strokes - Machu Picchu (2011)



I always thought I should like The Strokes more. When their debut album "Is This It" came out in 2001, all my friends were absolutely mad on them. I liked all their singles but perhaps it was the musical snob in me, when they became so popular, it put me off. "Last Night" although a great indie rock song just reminds me of lots of sweaty blokes jumping up and down in the pub spilling their lagers all over me! That's why this track, was a breath of fresh Peruvian air! The plucky guitar has a bit of a reggae bounce to it, a perfect soundtrack to the last BBQ of the year. It'll have you humming along in no time and I just love the line Julian Casablancas(what a cool name!) sings, "I'm just tryin' to find a mountain I can climb." That's deep, brother!

Sfw:Caveman - Thankful (2011)
Sorry about the rubbish video! This has been on repeat a quite a bit recently, I just love the lo-fi melancholy. They're from Brooklyn, NY and I don't know much about them apart from their website/myspace page. Get this song free from here!

Old Pa's Corner:-
Nick Lowe - 'Shame on the Rain' (2011)

Well, I have to say Nick Lowe is the same age as me and I will pay him the compliment that he is definitely growing old gracefully...musically speaking that is. I love this Country type ballad from his new album 'The Old Magic', it could be a song written and sung by Richard Hawley, it has that same sad melancholy feel of resignation, like a lot of RH songs. Nick Lowe had an album out in 2007 called 'At My Age' and it was undoubtedly one of my favourites of that year. An underrated talent.


More tracks of the week? Click here.

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 02/10/11
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
2 October 2011 at 09:21

FC Ticks all the boxes for you, enjoyed it, liked the sax and a nice little piano finish
SH Agree single all good but no thrill of anticipation when new album arrived...but this is not bad at all
Sfw congrats on qualifying by the way...this is good and will be a definate grower, will download immed.

Reply
avatar
3 October 2011 at 11:10

Great eclectic mix this week!

SH, this was another song that was buzzin gin my head and the first thing I thought was that it was a bit 'Reggae-ish'. Never really a fan and never really excited about new material....maybe it's me but I think they are overrated, controversial?

Sfw:- Another good one following on from last weeks, which I loved..Who are they?

Old Pa, I've listened to it a few times and I'll listen to it later in the week when summer's over and it's starts to rain. I can definitely see Richard Hawley doing this.

Reply
avatar
sfw
3 October 2011 at 11:27

FC - This is damn good....
Old Pa - I've got a few Nick Lowe albums but I just can't get into him - although, because of the Richard Hawley comparison - I'll have to try, and try again!
SH - The Strokes are rad.

I heard my TOTW from RCRD lbl and can't find much about them, but check out their website (i've added the link) and there is another good track on there - it's good stuff! A good discovery!

Reply
avatar
3 October 2011 at 11:55

Fly - LOVE this!! Have downloaded the freebie already. What a find!
Sfw - another great find! Great use of bongos, I can't get enough! Will check out the link!
Pa - I quite like this even though it's not really my bag. It reminds me of the old crooners that sing classic Christmas songs!

Reply