Wednesday 30 November 2011

WEDNESDAY CLUB - Chris Rea - Gone Fishing

MIDWEEK CRISIS again, your life is crap, come to WEDNESDAY CLUB we've got Chris Rea and he will help turbot your life around!


CHRIS REA - Gone Fishing(1991)

I never knew what fishing was about until I heard this song. Sometimes you just need to get away, forget about everything, just be by yourself, think about things, think about about your life, slow it down, don't be be too rash and get things into perspective. Maybe land a fish in the rain, a little bit of excitement in your dull unexciting life.

Tomorrow you may wake up and things will be different but if not, you can always go back fishing again (There must be a catch somewhere! - Why have I always got to spoil it!)

"....Chris Rea during his Miami Vice stage...."

I was a great fan of Chris Rea, avant 'The Road to Hell' and apres, but 'hell' is not so bad. It is just that it got too popular now he has joined these artists like 'Coldplay' or 'Dire Straits' etc. That because of a sudden increase in popularity some people tend to write them off and consider them 'old hat'. They love to hate them for some unknown reason, I don't really understand it. Suddenly they are considered as 'Dad Rock' or MOR, please don't be like that!

Try listening to the albums 'Shamrock Diaries' or 'On the Beach' or the best dad/kid song ever 'Wired to the Moon' from the album of the same name. Maybe then we can revalue how good Chris Rea actually is.

CHRIS REA - Wired to the Moon(1984)

Oh! by the way my Grandfather was a trawler man out of Aberdeen (Mother's side). I don't know if that is significant or not?

For more Wednesday Club sharktopus infested waters

Related Posts

WEDNESDAY CLUB - Chris Rea - Gone Fishing
4/ 5
Oleh

11 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
30 November 2011 at 10:40

Although I'm not a fan, I'd have to say that you
can't knock 'Fool If You Think It's Over'. He sounded promising back in the days of 'Whatever Happened To Benny Santini'. I've never fished but I like the idea of just spending a day by the riverbank. Why don't people just do that? Sit by the river and dream?

Reply
avatar
sfw
30 November 2011 at 10:41

Agree with SB, not really a fan....

Reply
avatar
30 November 2011 at 10:45

SB 'fool' is a brilliant song I think he peaked with 'Shamrock and Beach' very talented musician.
No river here so I'm of down to contemplate my next move by the beach!

Reply
avatar
30 November 2011 at 20:16

Unfortunately he is tarnished with that sort of 'naff dad rock' label but I know there's more to him than that. I remember people going crazy for 'Road to Hell' and I couldn't understand why, having Old Pa subject me to far superior tracks such as 'Ace of Hearts'. Oh well the harsh realities if rock n' roll!

Reply
avatar
2 December 2011 at 11:47

I heard somewhere that he is forming a super group with members of Dire Straits. I'm not sure what they were gonna all it though. Any ideas ??

Reply
avatar
5 December 2011 at 17:50

It's not serious people it's just a giggle. Dire-Rea !! Apologies to everyone !!

Reply
avatar
9 December 2011 at 14:39

Naughty Scouser!
I loved Ace Of Hearts growing up. Gone Fishing used to annoy me, god knows why! I was only 9! I didn't get it but I do now. Like the idea of it too.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
5 February 2012 at 07:31

Driving Home for Christmas is a great one! Haven't heard any of his other stuff, but that recording alone makes me interested to hear more.

Reply
avatar
6 February 2012 at 13:16

Anonymous
Well if you get hold of any greatest hits you will not be disappointed
All the best Old Pa

Reply