Thursday 1 December 2011

DYLAN COVER #25 - Nina Simone - Ballad of Hollis Brown

NINA SIMONE - Ballad of Hollis Brown

NINA SIMONE - Just like Tom Thumb's Blues

Oh my! When I saw the video for Hollis Brown, it just knocked me into complete silence. I was totaly mesmerised and was transfixed to that little sceen. What an amazing performace it is! It is just as if she is living and breathing every last syllable of the song. The tension in the song just builds and builds, you know something bad is going to happen. At the end Nina, like me, looks as if she is breathless. Totally stunning.

I have always loved Nina's interpretations of Dylan songs and my favourite must be 'Just like Tom Thumb's Blues'. It is a slowed down version and has a sad feel to it. If you have not heard it before then you are in for a treat, 'and its Easter time too'.

NINA SIMONE - Ballad of Hollis Brown(Live)

For more Dylan Cover Treats

Related Posts

DYLAN COVER #25 - Nina Simone - Ballad of Hollis Brown
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
2 December 2011 at 07:25

Agree with every word you say about these interpretations and about Nina in general. Genius. I'll add that her take on 'I Shall Be Released' is near perfect.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
3 December 2011 at 16:06

Whoa - that is amazing! I'm reading a book called "Keep On Pushing" about the intersection of black music and politics, and it refers to her doing this song in there. Had never heard it previously.

Found you via a link on Expecting Rain's page. Nice site!
- Bill

Reply
avatar
sfw
3 December 2011 at 17:09

Thanks for the comment Bill - we appreciate it! Checkout our other Dylan Covers through the links.

Reply