Wednesday 14 December 2011

OLD PA'S CORNER Best of 2011

 OLD PA'S CORNER - 5 Best of 2011

It is always tricky to pick your 5 best as you are usually influenced by what you are currently into. I picked the first 5 that stuck out from my 'list' and I am sticking with it, 'je ne regrette rien' as the 'little robin' says.

If anybody who comes to our site gets half the pleasure I get from doing it, then I would love to join you with a smile and share a glass with you!......But why don't you join us! Let us know about that important song that 'you' like and tell us what it means to YOU! Share it with us, share it with the WORLD!

I love reading your musical stories (there must be a book in there somewhere?).



BILL CALLAHAN - The Drover

Alt Country feel for all you would be Cowboys n' gals and Bill's distintive voice of course. I would say my track of the year.


THE MARINER'S CHILDREN - Coal

Folk revival highlight from the Brighton ensemble, excellent stuff. (Ignore the Kitchen)  

 RY COODER - Humpty Dumpty World

All the Cooder ingredients are here, a jokey title and chorus but with a serious message, brilliant playing.


JOSHUA MOSES - Africa (Is our land)

Old School Reggae revival from the Bristol archives, I love it


RICHARD HAWLEY - Theres a storm a comin'

Silky voice, silky tune. Light a candle, give her a rose, job done, I'm just an old romantic, are you?

Can't wait for 2012

Related Posts

OLD PA'S CORNER Best of 2011
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
14 December 2011 at 12:45

The Drover's a great song ad I think one of your first posts, has that perfect Americana feel of tales of somewhere far off, well from camberley. Mariner's Children is not really my thing but it's good. I Don't think my post Christmas lunch singalong would be as good though and I loved the opened plan aspect of the kitchen.

Reply
avatar
sfw
14 December 2011 at 13:17

My sentiments exactly old pa, been a pleasure, we'll have to have a drink sometime!

The "Drover" was a good catch - been around in my head all year...must have something to do with all the rustling!
I hadn't heard "the mariners children" - got to love sadness in the kitchen.
Ry Cooder - what can you not like about world musics cultural attaché!
Joshua Moses - a real discovery for me!
Richard Hawley - Sheffied's Sinatra - enough said!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
14 December 2011 at 20:18

Bill Callahan: Great. I'm not that up to speed on his stuff, apart from a few Smog things, but I wish I could sing like that.
Ry: What's there not to like? The man is immense.
Joshua Moses: From an excellent compilation, which was one of my own faves of the year.
Hawley: Yes, I'm an old romantic too. Loved 'Coles Corner' and 'Lady's Bridge'. Not heard this one. Very nice.

Reply
avatar
15 December 2011 at 07:45

'There's a Storm Coming' is a superb song and one of my favourites of the year, real class. I've meaning to get Ry's album for awhile, video is sobering, you can't really go wrong with him. And Joshua Moses, British roots at it's very best, monster tune!

Reply
avatar
4 January 2012 at 11:12

I actually really like the Bill Callahan one, it surprised me but it wouldnt be out of place in a Tarantino flick. Joshua Moses is faultless, love it. What can I say about Richard Hawley? Voice of velvet that transports me back to romantic times when men used to wear suits and hats. Need to hear more!

Reply