Sunday 1 January 2012

TRACKS OF THE WEEK! 01/01/2012

Happy New Year!

Here's our Quality Street selection for the week. Let us know you favourites.....
Sfw:-
Feist - 'How Come You Never Go There' (2011)
I had a number of CD's on my "Santa List", and Feist's Metals was one of them. I remember seeing this performance on Jools Holland Later a few months back and being impressed.  I've got a few of her earlier albums but there always seemed there was 'another' album to get - you know what I mean? So while you nurse your hangover, put this on, relax and finish off the chocolates & sweets that no one else eats.


Shell Hunter:-
The Maccabees - 'Pelican' (2012)


The Maccabees have truly trumpeted the arrival of 2012 with this single released today! A great start to the musical year! This is going to be such an instant hit with lots of people. Its catchy and has good positive energy. Perfect to listen to whilst you go for your first jog as part of your all new healthy regime! I remember when I was a teenager enjoying a few pre-legal drinks in my favourite pub The Rifleman in Hounslow(now a Lebanese restaurant), I used to watch bands every weekend. I saw a band a few times whose guitarist happened to be my school matron's son who were also called The Maccabees. I can't find any evidence it's the same group, but at least I'm not lying when I say I drank in the same pub as them! Enough talking about drinking though, I'm on the waggon!

Flycasual:-
Joker - The Vision (Let Me Breathe) feat Jesse Ware & Freddie Gibbs




I was going through some tracks of the year lists and I came across this pudding of a song. I'm hooked, on it's fantastic bassline and that drill sound, all smoothed over by Jessie Ware's amazing voice. Real Dubstep delight. DJ/producer, Joker has been hailed as one of the UK's leading lights in British Electronica, responsible for creating some unique and innovative sounds. It's no surprise then, that he comes from Bristol, adding to a long list of some the UK's finest dance acts. As a result, Joker's debut album, 'The Vision', will find a permanent residence on my stereo for the near future, the bass guaranteed to annoy the neighbours.

Download the track here on Soundcloud...


Old Pa's Corner:-
The Black Keys - 'Sister' (2011)


I have just been listening to the Black Keys new album El Camino and this is the first one to get me. I always look forward to a new Keys album, I love their hard driving sound, this however has elements of a dance beat. It will definitely be on my party playlist this Xmas, I may even get up and 'bop' watch me go. I really  enjoyed the album and I believe repeated plays will deliver rich rewards. Definately recommended.


Brad & Johnny





Only left with the strawberry ones? Don't worry plenty more Purple ones here....

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK! 01/01/2012
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
2 January 2012 at 21:11

Nice choices! Particular thanks for the intro to the track by Joker.

Reply
avatar
sfw
5 January 2012 at 08:35

All winners in my ears!

FC - had to watch the video a few times to get into it
SH - think that the Maccabees are back
Old Pa - Pick of the bunch

Reply
avatar
6 January 2012 at 17:29

Feist - Great Vid - 'The bad in each other' on by vol 2 best of 2011
Maccabees - good one, better second time round for me....wagon starts Monday over here!!!
Joker - Nice bit of Rap in there sir!...turn it up annoy the b**@~#%s!!!

Reply
avatar
7 January 2012 at 10:34

Great start to the year! I remember seeing the Feist tune on Jools Holland too and being really impressed that I got the album. Loved the brass and woodwind! Sort of dismissed the Maccabees as just another indie guitar band much to my detriment after this tune. I think I'll be hearing Pelicans alot in the coming weeks. Up to standard track from the Black Keys, I'm a big fan of the their retro rock style and I am really looking forward to listening to El Camino fo sho!

Reply
avatar
7 January 2012 at 21:08

Sfw- I definitely want to hear more. Love the brass big time.
Fly- that drill sound is cool and as soon as The Joker kicked in with the rhymes, I was 100% convinced!
Pa- good one from the Keys. I'm loving their new dance wave. That's 2 out of 2 from El Camino Ive liked. Check out Lonely Boy!

Reply