Thursday 1 March 2012

R.I.P. - Davy Jones (1945-2012)

It is with great sadness yesterday that I heard of the passing of Davy Jones.
THE MONKEES - I'm a Believer(1965)


When I first heard that there was going to be a manufactured band for a TV programme, even as a teenager, I was cynical at that prospect. I thought I should however give it a watch. The Beatles and the Beach Boys were at the height of their glorious powers. It was obvious that this was a ploy to copy the Beatles. Four guys , the goofy one, the serious one, the rebel and of course the cute one. Davy Jones fitted the bill to perfection as the cute one that all the young girls loved and adored. Even the format of the stories were very much like the Beatles film Help..

Saying all that, I loved the Monkees and continued to watch them every Saturday night. The main reason was the quality of the songs. It was top notch pop, as good as it gets. I bet you all know some of the Monkees' songs : ‘I'm A Believer’, ‘(I'm Not Your) Steppin’ Stone’ and ‘Daydream Believer’, their albums and singles have sold over 65 million copies worldwide.

Davy Jones was the face and the voice of the Monkees.

All I can say as a last few words is  'hey, hey, I am a believer'   R.I.P.  Davy Jones.

Related Posts

R.I.P. - Davy Jones (1945-2012)
4/ 5
Oleh