Sunday 10 June 2012

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 10/06/12 - Here We Go Magic, Smoke Fairies, Calexico, Father John Misty



Shell Hunter:-
Calexico - 'Para' (2012)

I was so worried about listening to this new track by Calexico. Would it be good? Would I like it? Would I be disappointed but force myself to like it? My panic was laced with excitement and anticipation......but I knew within the first few seconds that it was a winner! It's dark, eerie and the drama of the trumpets confirms Calexico still have what it takes to captivate me with their alluring and rustic americana sound. The new album called Algiers is set to come out in Europe in early September which is perfect for those of you who will be seeing them on tour (the London date is on September 18th at HMV Forum). Check out their website www.casadecalexico.com for more info and get yourself kitted out in their excellent Mexican Day Of The Dead-esque t-shirts! Download the track for free from Soundcloud below!


Old Pa's Corner:-
Smoke Fairies - Let Me Know (2012)
Do you belive in Fairies?


There seems to be a bit of a buzz about the 'Smoke Fairies' so I thought I would check them out. I was pleasantly surprised. The backing has a nice blusey feel along with nice harmonies and there is a little bit of an edge there too. They had a single out earlier this year 'Strange Moon Rising' and this is pretty good as well. It also helps that they are very pleasing to the eye. They remind me of that great girl band Hazeldine. This is certainly worth further investigation. And yes I do believe in Fairies!!



Sfw:-
Father John Misty - Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
Father John Misty is the new musical project by former Fleet Foxes drummer and singer/songwriter J.Tillman.  His gentle singing style could grate on some, but I love it. Just stick it on and just enjoy it while you read the sunday papers - it might catch your subconscious and you may want more

This track can be downloaded from the official Sub Pop website here

Flycasual:-
Here We Go Magic - Alone but Moving (2012)


"You'll like this....not a lot but you'll like it!". Stunning dreamy single from the freaky Brooklyn quartet that just seems to slow down the world around you, I just love the synths. Just one of a number of stand out tracks from their 3rd album 'A Different Ship', it's full of quirks and atmospherics and it's my album of the moment (check the fantastic JJ Cale-esque 'Make Up Your Mind'). Much better than an evening with Paul Daniels!!

Here We Go Magic's blog here...

Checkout and subscribe to our Tracks of the Week Playlist here

More tracks of the week? Sure....click here

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 10/06/12 - Here We Go Magic, Smoke Fairies, Calexico, Father John Misty
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
10 June 2012 at 12:21

SH - Oh yes! this is Calexico as I like them best...Sep somthing to look forward to
SFW - Not bad, could be a grower. You could hear every now and again the Fleet sound coming thru'
FC - Interesting and love the video. I liked it a lot and will check out the album...an evening with the beautiful Debbie Mcgee....saw me in half!

Reply
avatar
10 June 2012 at 18:15

SH I know what u mean. First hearing, it's ok, it's the great Calexico sound we all know and I hope it'll grow on me which I'm sure it will. Very well described by the way, eerie it is and at the end it sounds like the world is deflating/collapsing.

Old Pa, I believe in fairies too, this is very good, I thought it was going to be another folk duo but I was pleasantly suprised.

What a bizzarre video for Father John Misty, it's pretty good I'll probably need to hear it a couple of times but I really like the backing. He's the Fleet Foxes drummer right?

Reply
avatar
12 June 2012 at 19:55

Four out of four! All good stuff.

I was underwhelmed by J.Tillman the solo artist and questioned his wisdom at walking away from his Fleet Foxes meal ticket, but the Father John Misty album, 'Fear Fun', is very good indeed and the other two videos I've seen for 'This is Sally Hatchet' & 'Nancy From Now On' are equally memorable....and pretty unsettling!

Reply
avatar
20 June 2012 at 19:39

Really like all the tracks from this week!
Pa - Nice dreamy feel to it.
Sfw - love the 60's sound, top track!
Fly - my fave of the lot, excellent slow, fragile voice!

Reply